Replacing MCB's with RCBO's

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by diymostthings, Sep 28, 2015.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi

Is there any objection to replacing MCB's which are already protected by an RCD by RCBO's? If allowed, I'm hoping the RCBO would trip out before the RCD, so only the RCBO circuiit becomes "dead"

Kind regards

diymostthings

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What type of board is this, is it a dual RCD (split load board)?

3. stu1312

stu1312 Member

It will be a total gamble which trips out first on each circuit to be honest and if you have any slight earth leakage on the other circuits most likely it will be the main rcd due to a cumulative effect of all the earth leakage going through it.

4. diymostthings

It's an MK 17th edition split load with two RCD's covering all circuits except 2 which are only protected by an MCB

5. diymostthings

Hmmm. That's what I feared stu312. Is there ANY advantage then in doing this?

kind regards

diymostthings

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

DIY, what is the reason behind your proposed change ?
    RS

7. diymostthings

8. diymostthings

Well although I have split the circuits controlled by the two separate RCD's as recommended it is still inconvenient to have several circuits tripping out when only one is faulty - and it could be any one of the 5 circuits controlled by that RCD which is the faulty one. With an RCBO on each, you would know which circuit is faulty and only that one would trip. So the idea was by way of an upgrade but I wasn't sure if it was practical to buy expensive RCBO's only to find out that the RCD trips anyway. Hence my question.

Is there a solution?

kind regards

diymostthings

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Are you currently having problems with the rcd's tripping out? Might be best to get a spark in to trace the fault if you are. I've been using a split load boards for years now and not had any problems.

10. Gazza999

Gazza999 New Member

Was it sold to you as a "High integ dual RCD board" if so there should be 3 neutral bars 1 for each RCD and 1 for the unprotected High integ circuits on which you currently have MCBs. Replacing the MCBs with RCBOs is pefectley standard practice that is often done on installations for ccts like freezers or problem tripping cookers, these RCBOs would be on the seperate neutral bars and should not interfere with the RCD ccts. However as already stated if you have problem tripping then you need a spark to trace the fault as it may not be on the RCD that it appears to be.

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Pointless and expensive exercise!

If sumats tripping get it looked at by a Pro

12. bonkrs24seven

bonkrs24seven New Member

Hi folks, I have just bought a Wylex box complete with eight RCBs, to my horror they were those new fangled Wylex NHXSBS1Bs with the white and blue wires sticking out the top!! Does anyone know where they need to be wired to? Thanks

13. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Yes I do but you obviously don't so tough.

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

White is functional earth, blue is neutral.
    The circuit neutral is wired into the RCBO, and the neutral from the RCBO connected to the neutral bar.

15. bonkrs24seven

bonkrs24seven New Member

16. bonkrs24seven

bonkrs24seven New Member

Hi thanks for that, I had tried wiring the white to the earth bar and blue to the neutral bar but it tripped as soon as power was required.

17. diymostthings

No problems with tripping Coloumb - just thinking ahead to "if and when" a fault occurs.

18. diymostthings

Yes it is a Wylex dual RCD board - and I completely understand the earthing busbar requirments. i have no tripping problems - just thinking ahead...

19. diymostthings

No tripping sinewave - and I have the gear needed to measure Zs and to trace faults. It was a TT to TN-C-S (PME) conversion. I was just thinking ahead to the day when something goes wrong...

diymostthings

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Did you connect the circuit Neutral to the RCBO?