Replacing Scuffed Skirting Boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Akane26, May 30, 2017.

1. Akane26

Akane26 New Member

Hi there,

I've recently bought a flat and lets just say the interior needs a refresh. The skirting boards are pretty badly damaged and have been painted over many times. I want to remove the current ones and replace them with something smart and modern. I was hoping for some advice on the best way to remove and replace them without damaging the wall behind.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would look at MDF skirting, various styles available in 5.4 mtr lengths & knot free, would attach to wall with Gripfill.

As to removal, the old ones are probabley nailed, so it might be easier to cut old out with a multi tool, less damage to wall,blade is thin enough to slide between wall & back of skirting & with correct blade you can cut off the nails.:)

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You got to get them off anyway you can. Make good walls. Stick new skirting on with no nails. I like the mdf skirting myself with minimal nails or screws. Also find the long lengths to avoid joins. I get mine delivered as to long to get on my van

4. Akane26

Akane26 New Member

Cheers, definitely looking at MDF for the replacement and already found a couple of decent styles. As for the removal, think I'll just have to get at it with multi tool then, as having no luck with hammer and chisil. I'll let you know how it goes!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easiest way, least damage with multitool, & you can cut skiting into managable sections to remove.

Looking for good multitool blades, try Saxtonblades, used them for years without problems.

http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Carpet gripper gets In the way if you have it. Remove. Claw hammer. Large screw driver. Leaver with whatever. When it lifts away from surface jam something to stop it springing back. Brut force it off

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

When using a claw hammer put a scraper on surface to stop the levering force making hammer dig in. Get the claw hammer behind and it will rip off. Like I said. Brut force

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

How is the wall built?

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Straight up and down.........:p

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you can see where the nails are or a good guess, bang a chisel in beside them to split the wood a tad. Make it a lot easier to pull off.

koolpc likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That'll be a novelty!

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Is the wall solid brick or block, with plaster or render.
    Solid wall with dot and dab plasterboard.
    Is the wall studwork and plasterboard.
    Or the results of previous diy efforts and such like.

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Use new skirting taller than the old so as to hide any damage caused when removing. Also hides the years of paint layers built up.

14. Akane26

Akane26 New Member

Managed to get it off with a combination of a blade for the initial cut then brute force prying it off! All rooms in the flat have two brick external walls and two plasterboard internal walls. Had success on the brick but managed to rip away loads of the plasterboard! Got a bit messy so decided to cut my losses and a tradesmen mate of mine is sorting it atm. Cheers anyway!

15. Akane26

Akane26 New Member

KIAB likes this.