Replacing silicone with mortar

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by frogger, Dec 3, 2014.

1. frogger

frogger Member

Excuse me if this is a weird question but would it be in order to replace the silicone sealant around replacement doors and windows with mortar or is this not a good idea?
    I'm asking this because the silicone around my front door looks like ugly globs of chewing gum and surely, when houses are built, the doors and windows aren't sealed up with silicone - are they?
    I could just re-do the silicone but it wouldn't stay looking new for long and mortar would look neater and nicer
    Just a question I have been pondering over for a little while and have now 'dared' to ask on here and risk making a fool of myself. :eek:

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You need to be cautious with this. Silicon / sealant will allow for flex in the door when closing as well as different expansion rates between the door and the building when hot / cold. Mortar is obviously solid and as such will probably crack due to the above

3. Frogger, if the silicone has been over-done and used to fill a too-big gap, then, yes, it can look hellish.

Hard for us to judge the situation in your case without a photo, but there is no reason why you cannot mortar up to the frame - but then you will still need a bead of sealant betwixt this new mortar and the window/ door frame to ensure a water-tight seal..

Are you talking about the gap between the outside wall reveal and the window frame that's pressed up against it from inside?

Photo?

4. frogger

frogger Member

Yes I am talking about the outside wall. I did consider expansion/contraction due to weather and temperature changes but I was still thinking that newly built houses don't appear to have silicone around their doors and windows.
    I'm talking your advice on board D.A. but I thought mortar was waterproof.
    There really is nothing to see in a photo. Just a UPVC door (and frame) and the sealant around the frame looking like dirty globs of old chewing gum. I could re-do the sealant but the gap looks to be about half an inch.

5. Yes, the mortar is waterproof, but the join betwixt it and the frame ain't - and that crack'll suck like a sucky thing due to capillary action.

6. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

You could go for a more traditional finish like Roman Cement (trowel mastic) but neatly applied silicone will take a bit of beating as regards keeping water out.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

One way to achieve a lovely finish and straight lines, is to drag out the old filling, fully fill and seal the gaps with silicone(don't matter which colour), the stick on some upvc trim. No need to seal the trim, as the frame is sealed behind.
    That way, it is sealed, and you have a perfect straight line down the walls.
    If you use clear silicon for filling, you can fill the gap and stick the trim at the same time.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was wondering if the door butts up to a brick faced wall ?

Have seen this before when the silicone is applied it seems to form large blobs in the mortar lines

Could just be a messy silicone job, although by its nature it does seem to collect the dirt and look dirty after a while

9. frogger

frogger Member

I've noticed that some of these double glazing/UPVC door fitters rarely do a neat job. I'ts just 'bish bash bosh' (to quote Harry Enfield) and they're done.

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

masking tape and seal in brown class finish

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why "brown" Biffo ?

We don't know the colour of froggers door and walls do we

12. frogger

frogger Member

Walls are grey (stone cladding) and door is white UPVC.