Replacing socket - Spark

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by L0de, Apr 4, 2014.

1. L0de

L0de New Member

Hi there,
    I was replacing a socket with the juice still on/circuit energized. Unscrewing and touching the live or neutral terminal wire with an insulated screw driver created a large spark thus tripping the RCD.
    Can anyone explain why this would happen?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

One question and one answer

Question, WHY was you doing it live??:eek:

Answer, you must have caused a short somehow, lucky for you it tripped before you did.:rolleyes:

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Many sockets have the earth bar strapping very close to the terminals - I would suggest you ignorantly shorted live or neutral to earth.

WHY were you doing this with the circuit on? If it had a pair of cables, you are also open circuiting the rest of the circuit. What was in your mind?

For example:

[​IMG]

FatHands likes this.
  4. L0de

L0de New Member

I know the juice should have been isolated from this circuit, but I was puzzled why this was occurring. I carefully tried it again as a test with the same result. Could there be a fault on the circuit/bonding?

5. Phil the Paver

If you are just touching the live with your screwdriver and it's tripping out, you may have a fault with the insulation on the screwdriver, so it is strongly advisable to stop trying it before you kill yourself.;)

L0de likes this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You must have touched either the earth bar or the neutral at the same time as the live, that's the only possible explanation. Just think yourself lucky and don't do such stupid things in the future!

FatHands likes this.
  7. L0de

L0de New Member

Thanks all. Probably a good time to invest in a new screw driver set.
    Have a great weekend all.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. Biochef

Biochef Member

If your wife is asking you to do these tests I would be very suspicious :eek:

hezzie and seneca like this.
  9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Is this a wind up? Have you never had an electric shock? I have had a two or three mains shocks when I was in my teens messing around with radios and mains energised speakers but I have not had one since and I am 67 now. As other posters have indicated if you want to kill yourself you are going the right way about it.

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Poundland usually have a few good quality neon screwdrivers which may well help curtail your experiments a little quicker

hezzie and Phil the Paver like this.
  11. Phil the Paver

If his wife buys him set from there, at least we'll know her motives. :p

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Try the 99p shop - even cheaper but still the same high quality

Always makes me laugh, anyone with an insulated screwdriver with a red and yellow grip is a competent electrician - myself included ! :eek:

13. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got a neon screwdriver....If it lights up, I stay well away !! :eek:

14. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

What a waste of money, My Grandad told me in the 1920's they often just licked their finger and gave it a quick dab to see if it was live and they were professional electricians.

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The storeman at my place of teaching would test with his finger nail...

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Yes cause your a tw4T for working live and risking your own life.....simples

happybobby likes this.