Replacing strengthened glass in car port roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looking for ideas as to what to replace my Mum's car port roof with. T'was built by Bodgit Snr many moons ago, the 'roof' is safety glass with a wire mesh in it, like this:

[​IMG]

Some of the glass has cracked due to debris falling on it, and it needs to be replaced. Wondering if thick twin wall polycarbonate would be suitable or something else? Overall size would be around 7m x 3.5m, there are lengths across the width each about 3.5m x .75m with a kind of aluminium channel supporting between each one.

You can just about see the glass in this photo - the car is (was) mine, built by me in 1989 but recently sold :(

[​IMG]

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Georgian Wired Glass,darn heavy.

Twin wall polycarbonate sheet, it's strong, & lightweight.,various lengths & widths available , clear, tinted.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What thickness would you recommend? I can see 4mm and 6mm but there's also 10mm which seems more like it.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Georgian Wired Cast is 7mm, so I presume yours is that thickness, I would remove the lot, then see what Twin wall polycarbonate sheet will fit most likely 10mm would be ok,more choice of widths, depends how the glass was fixed in place,& how you intend to keep polycarbonate in place, 6mm polycarbonate is usually greenhouses & shed windows, too flimsy I reckon at 3500mm length without crossbracing.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/roof-sheets/twinwall/twinwall-sheets.html

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Great car. I bet you were sorry to see it go. Which kit is it?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post some photo's once glass has been removed, the we can see the frame setup.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Triple wall is very strong but is 16mm+ thick and quite expensive but will outlast twin wall polycarbonate sheets.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

16mm had cross my mind,& triple wall would be better, but we don't know depth of exsisting framework, ideally I thought it better sheeting is sitting flush & not proud of framework.
    Once glass is removed then OP can decided which is best.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

10mm twinwall can come at 7M x 2.1M and should be fine.

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It's a Spartan, Cortina MkV based with 2050cc pinto engine, about 140hp. I've had my fun with it but no longer have the time or inclination to give it the care it needs. It's gone to a good home.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

My brother has a similar car he built. He has built a few different cars over the years