Replacing Water Main

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by daved2424, Feb 26, 2015.

1. daved2424

daved2424 New Member

Hello

I am currently digging a trench so I have can have my old lead water main replaced. My house has suspended wooden floors with concrete beneath.

My question is, what is the best way to bore down through this concrete the required 750 mm in order to insert the required 110 mm pipe?

Many thanks

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you'll not be able to just bore a hole and thread it up, you'll have to jack hammer through the concrete and make a ditch to lay the pipe in and using a ducting to protect the pipe use a slow bent to come vertical into the house, you also need to insualte the pipe as it rises,

3. daved2424

daved2424 New Member

I presume the concrete is only 6 inches deep or so? Would an SDS drill do it? After that I would need some way to excavate underneath that...

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't you believe it, I had to break up 12" of solid concrete for 15' under a supended floor many moons ago, while installing new drainage.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Who said it a required 750mm ??.

Just dig your trench up to the house and then bring the pipe up and in through the brickwork above the concrete, insurlating it against frost if so required.

6. daved2424

daved2424 New Member

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dependant on the water company I think, Bristol Water & Wessex Water connection requirements are virtually the same, I quote the following.
    All pipes must be laid in trenches that are between 750mm and 1200mm deep. Supply pipes must then enter the property and remain at that depth for a minimum horizontal distance of 750mm from the external face of the wall before rising to an internal stop tap. Pipes must remain at a depth of between 750mm and 850mm for one metre either side of the boundary box.

Some water companies goes deeper, & require a minimum of 350 mm away from any gas supply.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015