Replacing whole door frame x 8

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DianeMcD, May 14, 2016.

1. DianeMcD

DianeMcD New Member

Hi
    Looking for some advice. I would like to remove the old painted door frames etc in my home and replace with a nice wood which can be given a light clear varnish to reduce maintenance costs. Can anyone give me an idea of cost? Also would like to do skirting and stairwell with new bannister. I live in Cumbernauld near Glasgow.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Replacing painted liners with varnished ones will increase maintenance costs.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tricky to price. Firstly you have to take the archs off, then getting the frames outcouldcsuse plaster damage to be made good. If the linings are pretty standard,then for just a replacement "pine' lining,purchase cost would be £15-25. Anything else, then the sky's the limit. As Chipoie said...more maintenance as you can fill and sand white painted wood :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with white frames & pine doors.

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Emmanuel will be along in a moment to demo his barry bucknell web site.........

but for a project like this involving selected timbers its going to amount to the few thousands

6. LJ1379

LJ1379 New Member

Varnish is not usually recommended, even with internal door frames, as it's prone to chipping - a good quality stain or paint will usually be the cheapest option in the long run. Cheaper softwood frames are usually less than £20, higher quality oak frames are significantly more. Lots of detail about doors here - http://www.wonkeedonkeexljoinery.co.uk/doors-general-information/door-frames/