Replacing Wooden Sash Windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by donut_breasts, Jun 14, 2011.

1. donut_breasts

donut_breasts New Member

Hi, My partner and I are buying a 1900s victorian house and the survey   has pulled up some issues with the wooden single pane sash windows.

I need help with a guide price for replacing (worst scenario) the following wooden sash windows:
    1 x (1.25m x 0.75m)
    3 x (1.25m x 1m)
    2 x (1.25m x 0.3m)
    2 x (1.25m x 0.5m)

Can anyone tell me how the price will vary for single and double glazed?
    I don't really want to go UPVC as the windows will lose their character.

Also if anyone can recommend someone in the Lewisham (south east london) area that would be a great help.

Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

2. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

what are the problems as you have been told?

3. donut_breasts

donut_breasts New Member

Thanks for your message, we don't think all of them will need replacing and we are willing to do some work ourselves but we will try to negotiate some money from the vendor and it would be great to know to worst scenario.

The report says:
    The windows mainly comprise timber framed double hung sash units and are single glazed. A number of defects were noted including frayed and broken sash cords and the windows require a comprehensive overhaul to improve condition and serviceability. Double hung sash windows are expensive to maintain and also tend to be ill-fitting and allow heat loss. In view of the age and condition of the windows, it may be more cost effective to consider replacement rather than renovation. General repair and maintenance work is also required to some external joinery. Areas of timber decay were noted and these sections should be cut out and replaced prior to redecoration. The external decorations are deteriorating and should be renewed soon. General repair and maintenance work is now required to external joinery. Some areas of timber decay were noted and these sections should be cut out and replaced prior to redecoration. The external woodwork will need regular redecoration, typically on a 3-5 yearly cycle depending on the quality of paint or stain coating, exposure factors, and condition of the surfaces beneath. Condensation to the single glazed windows may be a consideration particularly during the winter months. The need to maintain/improve internal environmental comfort conditions may be a factor in your eventual decision as to whether or not to replace the existing windows with double glazed units.

4. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

Sounds like neglected windows, which will result in a fair bit of repair and renovation.  But he hasn't highlighted any structural problems, so they could scrub up quite nicely.

5. grincher

grincher New Member

After 3-years of looking I found a company in west london that is doing 8 replacement windows including boxes for £750 each (softwood with hardwood cills). They are due to fit at the end of the month, but I have seen their previous work and references plus they are FENSA registered so went with them. That price included everything apart from final painting.

As said previously, some firms will charge £3000 per window as I found out, but on avearge its £1k per window. If you are lucky enough to find a joinery shop looking for work at a particular time then you can get a better price. It only took me 3-years.

6. builderplus

builderplus New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter due to commercial posting

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

im going to start making sash windows:eek:

8. 1rocky1

1rocky1 Member

no a brilliant firm that makes them only trouble its in derby , but brill windows .

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

OP
    The timber profiles are available now to make new.
    If you have new made, use people out of London...cheaper.
    Try to find old carpenter who may be skilled in these types.
    Use 'Redspot' sash cord for long term reliability.
    If  you put in DG units to the originals the mouse weights will be wrong and the sash will be heavy and/or move when open.
    Take parting and finishing beads off carefully to refurbish as the biggest problem with these BFS windows is years of bad painting. (apart from cill rot)
    Dont worry about draughts, no one benefits from a hermetically sealed property.(and you probably will have an open fire)
    Be careful not to scratch the glass as you rub down around the putty.
    If refurbished with care they will be fine for 30 years...as i did to mine 32 years ago.

This answer is provided free of charge, in the best possible taste,  and does not comply with all or any European directives.  It does not effect your Statutory rights  and may contain nuts.
    ;)
    RS

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

2 year old post.

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Doh !!!!
    lol
    RS

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I still don't know how dunc's more recent posts fit in there though.

13. joiner 01

joiner 01 New Member

Hi, was wondering how the sash windows worked out for you eventually?

14. rachelmcquire

rachelmcquire New Member

Double glazed windows will cost you 25% more than single glazed. However, it will be worth spending on it as you can save near 25% on your energy consumption and bills. it will be a One-time investment in windows which will make your life a lot more comfortable by cutting down your energy costs over the years.

15. Whatever she says ^.

Really - whatever she says.

Whateves. Anything.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Double glazed sash windows look awful and may reduce the value of your property.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There's a sudden upsurge in posters with attractive, female, avi's. Beware.