Reseed Existing Lawn

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by bond007, Jun 20, 2016.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys
    My lawn had alot weeds on it , so i used a weed killer in the hope of getting rid of it.

What i am wanting to know is, i want my lawn to have a fresh look of grass again.

How do i go about it? Put fertilizer and grass seeds on and just water it?

Which ones shall i buy?
    Whats the process?

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Nothing but hard work I'm afraid. Ideally lawns should be reseeded in late March or September when there is a fair chance of s
    Warm temperatures plus rain. Sowing in June or July risks a dry spell when unless you can Appl copious amounts of water the new seedling grasses won't have established and will burn off. Rule of thumb is five gallons of water per sq yd equals approx one inch of rain so you can see what I'm saying.
    First step is to get a good strong rake and scarifying the existing soil in two directions, will make your arms and back ache but it's the only way, with the intention of creating a seedbed about an inch or so deep. Next apply your fertiliser and rake well in. Ideally leave a few days then sow your grass seed in two directions to get an even cover, about an ounce per sq yd, then rake well in. Alernativley mix the seed with some good friable topsoil with a bit of sand added and spread that on the surface, you will get a better distribution and germination that way. Water well in and keep watered, best also to peg some netting over to keep feathered friends off. As for species, if you want a hard wearing lawn that needs mowing choose a mix with ryegrass, for a softer less vigorous lawn do the opposite.

3. bond007

I have already got grass on , just wanted to give a fresh look? i need to rake off all the old grass you saying first?

4. BJR lawn care

BJR lawn care New Member

What kind of weed killer have you used? Has it killed of the existing grass?

If you're just looking the freshen and thicken up the lawn then get the lawn fed with fertiliser, aerate the lawn then introduce new seed to the lawn.

5. bond007

6. bond007

7. ramseyman

Sadly the weedkiller you used is a total weedkiller and will kill everything including the grass. You should have used a selective lawn weedkiller not a total herbicide. It will take 10 days to a fortnight before the glyphosate you used shows full effect. However all is not lost as it does not remain active in the soil, it only kills the foliage it touches including the roots as its carried down to them, therefore it is quite safe to reseed immediately which unfortunately you will now have to do.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy mistake to make.:D

9. bond007

Reseed with put fertilizer on first or just straight reseed?, is there any point in putting this on then http://www.wilko.com/lawn-seed+food/evergreen-complete-ws-4in1-200m2-7kg/invt/0331187

So basically i cant reseed for about 2 weeks now?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. bond007

i already have a patch of lawn which i have sprayed with weed killer :)

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A patch of lawn which missed the Gallup 360:), the 4 in 1 will be ok for that.

13. bond007

So will i have to wait 2 weeks before i can put that on?

i put tat 4 in 1 on then put seeds on top after? then water it frequently basically?

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If it was me. I would just sow the lawn seed.

ramseyman likes this.
  15. bond007

no bother putting that 4 in 1 then?

Will it need fertilizer with lawn seed or the soil and water be enough?

16. ramseyman

Sow the seed now, you don't have to wait and put the fertiliser over the whole lawn in September a nd again in March

17. bond007

Sow the seeds now even thought the Lawn has weedkiller on?
    Also i have taken 2 small stumps out and which have left holes on the lawn, do i just fill it in with top soil and put seeds over it?

18. ramseyman

Yes to both. The weedkiller you used is deactivated once it touches the soil ans was only effective on green leaves.

KIAB likes this.
  19. bond007

Okies which lawn grass seed would yourecommend please - value for money one

20. ramseyman

Wilkos do one in bulk bags which you weigh out yourself. I'd go for the non-ryegrass one as they do two.