restricted flow at kitchen mixer tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by andye, Sep 2, 2014.

1. andye

andye New Member

Hi guys I had to change my mono mixer tap in my kitchen I am an electrician but don't hold that against me anyway new tap fitted and noted the flow is restricted on the hot side this is header tank fed (attic) to immersion (1st floor) to the kitchen ground floor.

The cold water is fed from the mains but I have noticed that the water is what I would call foamed or airaited ?

Plus a friend has had the same problem so the question is are these taps designed for mains or pump fed and if so do I need to buy another type of tap and is this a new thing with regards to taps

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Probably not designed for gravity fed system. Most kitchen mixers now seem to have very thin stems so are only suitable for high pressure systems.

3. andye

andye New Member

Many thanks but why not state this on the tap ie not suitable for gravity system etc

4. metrokitchens

Where did you buy the tap from?

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Mines the same, the hot flow is so slow you could go and have a bath while the sink fill. :p:p

You are right in thinking it is the tap, they are designed for the modern plumbing, ie: unvented cylinders/ combi boiler.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have a look to see if there is a remoavable aerator in the end of the spout(also restricts flow).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Stuart Turner Ltd

Stuart Turner Ltd New Member

The majority of equipment flooding the UK market is designed for high pressure system (made overseas) Most people selling it hardly understand it. You will have to look hard nowadays to find gravity taps but they are out there. Typical Monday AM call to us is fitted new taps now only dribble of hot can I pump it? Yes. So you choice is UK gravity equipment or pump.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. metrokitchens

Spot on Mr Pumps.
    At least 30% of my kitchens have this issue.
    Some live with it - crazy.
    Some change the tap - nuisance.
    Some have a pump fitted - not by me