Retention of documents

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Hi Guys
    What is the legal requirement for us retaining copy certs.
    All jobs were registerd with ECA or NAPIT at the time.
    cheers

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No RS, we can't officially do that, I guess this is due to non-payment is it?

3. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Why cant you keep copies??

4. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

or did you miss read it as "for us retaining certs" ?

Im not sure if there is a minimum period for keeping copies.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thanks Caddy, that's exactly what I done!

6. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

That's what I meant...how long are we obliged to keep records (retired now and clearing debris from house to move)
    cheers

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I seem to remember hearing a long time ago that it was six years for Inland Revenue so might possibly be the same as it's kind of official documents?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't think you'd have to keep them at all, except for your own peace of mind.

Let's face it, why would you need to keep them? In case something went wrong in the future?

If they need to, they will find you, don't worry!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I do sometimes find the copies handy to refer back to when I get asked to do more work at the same place.

10. iandaviot

iandaviot Member

I am NICEIC and think its 5 years for them, as i had to ask this question a while back.

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You obviously didn't make a mental note when you received an answer from them, lol.

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

10 years I believe.

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

NAPIT insures your work for 7 (or 6?) years, so I guess it's for that long.

[edit] i don't think you're going to get banged up if you don't though.... [/edit]

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Since one should have an EICR they 10 years would be the limit for domestic but 4 years for commercial as being maximum time for PAT testing.

However my son stopped trading and went cards in and at same time moved to living on a narrow boat so he kept electronic records only. When the computer hard drive failed that was good by to all records likely he held them for 2 years and then they were gone.

He was never asked for them. With LACB one sends the installation certificate to them so there is really no need for you to keep a copy. Using a scheme it is really up to the scheme operator to fix a time. The builders offer a 10 year warranty so I expect you should hold for same time but unless there is a fault then even if you only kept them of 6 months it would not matter.

I would say it's up to the customer to retain a copy and if they have not kept their copy why should they expect you to keep yours? If it were me I would ask the scheme provider but if they get unfortunately damaged when stored in garage then I would dump them all. Different if still trading but when a company goes bankrupt I am sure the certificates are not kept so why should you when you stop trading.