Reversed supplies to shower valve - Problem ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIYDave., Apr 12, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    I posted on here recently about an issue with my concealed, thermostatic shower valve. Anyway, long story short, I've got two of the same valves and have had problems with both over the years so decided enough is enough, change the valve completely. Went for a bar valve type, fitted with a wall plate

A fair amount of work as meant tiles off, cutting into stud wall, extending pipes, making good, etc. All finished this afternoon, new grout dry, silicon dry, ready to go............

Here's where the problem lies; the temp control knob is working back to front, ie, I've piped it up wrong !

In my defence, I checked installation instructions for both old and new valve and hot enters from left. That made things a bit easier as limited access inside stud wall. Before connecting bar valve I flushed out pipework but didn't think to check that hot and cold was coming out of correct sides of the wall plate

What I hadn't realised is that the old valve had been fitted upside down, with the outlet facing down, whilst in the installation instructions, it shows the valve facing up. So my supplies are back to front and the smile had now vanished from my face :(

I could reverse the supply as the pump and boiler, emersion, etc is all in the loft so good access, although there is a feed from the shower supply to the bath also. Reversing the supply would correct the shower, but the bath taps would now be wrong

Anyway, if I just leave as is, can this damage the new valve in any way or does it make no difference (other than reversed control)

Cheers for any input and I hope my weekend work hasn't been a total waste of time :eek:

2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

I'd reverse it at the pump and as for bath taps reverse them with some flexi's Dave.;)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy mistake to make, done it myself:oops:, as have others,I now alway check & put a few wraps of either red or blue insulation tape around the pipes to identify & to remind me.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheers guys for your replies
    Yep simple but good tip about the red/blue tape (my sons got every colour insulation tape known to man as uses them on craft projects, so was there in his room, feet away from the bathroom) !

If I don't manage to change pipes over for a week or so, can this damage the shower valve / cartridge in any way ?

Shower is usable (just ) but temperature control is rather erratic

Thanks again chaps

5. Will it damage your shower in any way? Probably not. But it's effectively 'not working' as it is in any case, so it might as well be 'damaged' as its performance is 'faulty'.

Dave, sort it, man. And I think P-b's idea is a cracker - swap the pipes at the pump/in the loft, and then tackle the bath taps using flexis.

I know it's a kind of bodge, but at least everything will be back to 'normal'. Because are you really going to live with a thermostatic shower that's erratic, plumbed wrong and is simply unlikely to protect you if the cold water shuts off for some reason?

So you either bite the bullet and remove the shower and start again, or else you swap the supplies at a different point.

Tsk - silly mistake. You wouldn't find me doing that... (wanders off whistling... :rolleyes:)

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

you may find in the makers instructions a way to reverse the temp flows on the valve if its a decent make.

7. plumber-boy

I very much doubt it.;)

8. I think you may have been a little rash in your reply there PB. Some shower valves do enable you to change the supplies.

9. plumber-boy

Not many now days, as rare as rocking horse shoite.;)

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Quick update following on from advice given;

No mention of reversing temp flows in the instructions with the valve so was a nice easy job (for once) in the loft and just swapped the flexi hoses round on the pump - took all of 5 minutes and valve is now working perfectly :D

Bar valve is branded Highlife Bathrooms (Alliance Sanitary Products) and model is Galston. Certainly not the cheapest or most expensive but the price suited my wallet and I liked the look of it !

Will sort out supply to bath another time and again simply reverse supply to correct. Not really a problem as our bath probably gets used twice a year - if that (although we do shower regularly, honest)

Thanks as always for your time

11. Good job, Dave, and pleased it did the trick :)

Bath only gets used a couple of times a year? It'll be even less now - certainly after the first person who jumps in to a filled-up-to-the-brim stone-cold bath...

12. Dora

Dora New Member

Guys, thank you. Trying to work out why my brand new Galston shower runs either boiling hot or freezing cold. Absolutely no middle ground temperature.

The temperature on the dial is also opposite to that expected. Turn to hot and flow is cold, turn to cold and flow is boiling.

Could the hot/cold supply have been revered too?

Can anyone comment before I engage a new plumber to fix this?

13. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

rather than use flexis to change supply over why not change the red blue plastic bits on the taps or the heads or the tapes no expense

14. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

Almost certain. Symptoms are exactly what reversed supply would cause. If you still have the installation manual for the shower valve it will probably list fault symptoms somewhere at the back, together with causes.

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And that will do wahat for the problem? Absolutely nothing except confuse it even more.

16. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

never confused if you need to change the pipes over to the correct way now the pipes have been changed over in the attic too acomadate the shower was a simple solution so how would that confused sorry im confused see what i did there:)

17. Dora

Dora New Member

Super, thank you.

Sadly I don’t have the instructions as plumber didn’t leave me with them and I have not been successful yet in accessing online so any tips how to find appreciated.

I did attempt a partial solution by turning the boiler temperature down to about 40c, this makes for a less scalding shower though a flow cycle still delivers really hot, have to stand back and wait for the cooler cycle to kick in

Am not confident in fixing this myself and somewhat stung by this plumber, not sure how best to trust engaging someone new and so prevent another expensive experience - your advice appreciated

18. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

It does sound as though your supplies (hot and cold) are back to front.

Can you post a photo of the shower valve or a link to an advert for it please? It's not a well known make.

On some showers, it's possible to take out the cartridge and reverse it to allow for reversed supplies (the Mira Excel is an example)
    but on many, it will probably mean either altering the pipework or, if it's surface mounted, it might be possible to turn the whole
    shower valve round. If it's this one, you could do just that, except it would mean the hose would come out of the top:

https://www.toolstation.com/galston-square-thermostatic-bar-mixer-shower-valve/p97120

If it IS this one (or one of the same design), it's a five minute job to turn it round and you'll be able to do it yourself. Let us know if so and I'll talk you through it.

19. Dora

Dora New Member

You are a master

Yes, it is exactly the same square Galston wall mounted as you posted and from Tool-station too

Hot comes in on the right as you look at it

Have uploaded a photo, the nut is not flush to the pipe surround (plumber put round ones in as apparently the product square ones were too small - aka suspect his holes were too big) so wondering if where the flat bit of the screw is going to let water

I would rather cope with an upside down tap and steady water temperature than boiling/freezing variable flow

So very appreciative - success in sight

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  20. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

your previous shower mixer valve could have been adapted to work on reversed hot & cold connections,doubt the previous shower mixer valve was a (er) external riser product.. Now a fancy er bar mixer has been installed with reversed connections,who specified the new shower mixer valve ?:(

The installer would have experienced problems during initial comissioning & safety testing.

reinstalling the valve upside down presents some difficulties the er riser pipe and flexi shower hose may have different sized spigot connections glue welded into the valve body during manufacture also all the visable indicators will be out of view.

Replumbing the shower supply is recommended or fit a shower valve which can accept reversed h&c connections ;)

Joe the Plumber likes this.