Rewiring without back boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flimflamflum, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Sorry the links got dropped
    SO check their company number here and there VAT number here

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  2. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

You will have to pay for a building control visit but imo it would be money well spent

3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

What a nightmare,how they can say a certificate is issued as a good will gesture is beyond me,I'll bet any money they haven't registered the job with building control,which is as I understand it a legal requirement.Not complying with BS7671 isn't an offence,not complying with building regs is,and if they have notified then I bet both BC and their scheme would love to see the "quality" of their work.

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Phil the OP is in Scotland so different notification procedures.

5. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Ha well in Scotland you need a building warrant for any rewiring in a Flat

6. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Building control no help. They said they recommend using electricians who are select or niceic registered. They won't do a visit as they aren't qualified. Trading standards say I need a written report by an independent electrician.

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I think there is an extremely good chance they will call them and ask. Certainly my NFU policy covers legal representation for contract disputes for goods and services. If they confirm they will assist you are in a good position.

get a report from Sparks #2 detailing everything that is wrong with the install (and there will be plenty) - if necessary pay him for his time doing this, on the understanding he will credit it back once you give him an instruction to carry out the rest of the work - if he is decent he should agree to this. Speaking to a solicitor is a good idea - give him the facts

1) You have had a sub-standard electrical job done with no certification - email him/her the pictures - even a layman can see this is a c**p job
    2) you will have a report detailing what is wrong - send this as well

ask the solicitor to advise what you should do next. Take their advice!

Bloody typical - quick to take money for anything you want to do and useless when you need any support.

It's a real shame you have all this grief. The various schemes were put in place to stop this sort of nonsense. Unfortunately now you are in it, the only way out is to be robust and positive - don't worry - I am sure all will come good in teh end.

8. Hi FFF.

Before you act on advice given here - including mine - you need to accept that half of this issue is down to you. You accepted a pitifully detailed quote and did not even confirm what was involved in this - how much wiring, whether it would be 'made good' afterwards, whether all sockets would be replaced etc etc.

So, we need to be clear - if these cowboys now sort out the issues that the new guy has pointed out that currently don't comply, then you are liable to pay them the full bludy amount.

AND, you HAVE to give them the option to carry out these 'repairs'.

As far as I can see now, your only 'get-outs' are if (a) they are not accredited so cannot legally certify the work to current regs, or (b) their work is of a genuinely poor/dangerous standard that you can legitimately say to them - 'get out'.

The fact that the work is 'shoddy', or that they haven't done all that you 'expected', or that they ain't going to plaster over it, is neither here nor there. Because you don't have anything to say that they were meant to do anything different to what they have done.

So, you'd better cross your fingers that they are NOT accredited, and/or the new sparky will list some 'non-conformities' that are serious.

Or else you are stuck with your cowboys, I'm afraid. A hard lesson. And 'cowboys' they are - 'cos for them to say "they'll send a cert as a gesture of good will" is seriously worrying.If I were you, I'd worry that they'll use this to try and get the money out of you, and a cert might not be forthcoming.

Did they fit a new CU? Could you post photos of that for sparkies on here to see?

Bottom line - tread carefully. If it happens that you're stuck with them (ie - they are accredited, they will make it all 'conform', they will send out a cert, etc) then I'd suggest you are left with simply negotiating with them over the price.

But you have left yourself open to them by not specifying what they were expected to do from the outset. And you are on shaky ground now that the job has been done. :(

FatHands likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

DA is spot on - a solicitor will probably tell you similar, but won't know the intricacies of electrics, so you need that report from spark #2, and it needs to be written, not just verbal - hence you might have to pay for his time. Sparks #2. as has been said before, should be able to help you check their accreditation.

And whatever you do don't pay them. Plenty of time in hand for that.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What did the quote specify in terms of carrying out the work, was it just similar to the invoice?

Also if you upload picture of the CU, you can cut out any labels mentioning the company details etc.

11. scraig

scraig New Member

Is the new company you are using to assess the work registered?
    Have you checked?

In Scotland use the following :

www.niceic.com

or

http://www.select.org.uk/

Use the postcode search facility.

I feel for you as I have had tradesmen problems myself. Once bitten twice shy- remember if it goes further (court / dispute) you need to have back up- if you use another electrical contractor who isn't registered then you are back to square 1

DO NOT SPEAK- only deal with them in writing (or via email)

12. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

They are not registered with niceic or select. Been on the phone with the director of company who was trying to get payment. Told him I'm not paying anything until I've had an independent written report. He says all the things I told him are minor and he will get them fixed. He said no channels are ever going to be straight and when I asked him if the electrician was qualified he said he wasn't answering that ridiculous question. He wants to send someone out on Thursday but I told him they weren't getting access until I have a written report by the other sparky.
    20160705_164015.jpg

13. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

Looking at this, I am only commenting on the consumer unit but:
    The shower is on a 32A MCB (most showers are rated higher than this)
    You have sockets on the first floor (hope not as its a downstairs flat)

You need it checked and you need to look online for a good local electrical contractor who is registered.

Did you ask trading standards about any electrical contractor you are thinking of using (they will have logs of complaints against any local companies)?

https://www.niceic.com/householder/find-a-contractor-results?q=ka1+3nf

14. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

The wraggling is awful, the guy ran cables all roads left an untidy job.
    There is no need to do as much raggles on the ceiling - the wiring can be hidden in certain ways.

15. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Other things the electrician this morning mentioned was the earth for the gas meter which has just been added on to the pipes. And the light switch in the bathroom hasn't been rewired

Attached Files:

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

No RCD test notice no 230v label these come with board and still not put on, lazy b@#&@#$s

17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

No mixed colour label either, wouldn't let this company anywhere near this job

18. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

It's BG board they are on the inside of the lid all on view as you open it

19. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

It wouldn't need a 230V sticker though.

TP&N likes this.
  20. These are all relatively trivial matters, tho'? Ones that can be put right easily by this shoddy outfit?

My concern is that FFF is going to be stuck with this cowboy, and will be paying through the nose for the privilege of receiving a tatty job.

The horizontal runs of cable in the walls (photo on post #79) - are these a non-conforming issue? Ie - that fact that the cables don't run at the same level as the light switch? No-one will know that the cables are there.