Rewiring without back boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flimflamflum, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The circuits are labelled up incorrectly?

No 6 hasn't been labelled.

No 5 Sockets First Floor = 6A, would expect to see a min of 16A to be used.

No 2 Lights = 16A, I thought it would be either 6 or 10A?

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

My guess is they haven't bothered putting any on wether it needed it 230v sticker or not I'd always put one on, the poor guy been shafted by unregistered cowboys

3. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

As a Director of an Electrical Contracting firm based in Scotland I’d like to point out that the re-wiring of a flat comes under the SBS warrant scheme. In order to carry out the rewire of a flat the Electrical Company or Electrician must be registered as a ‘Certifier of Construction’. In order to certify the works the company/electrician must be registered with one of the two scheme providers NICECI or Select.

When the customer was obtaining quotes at least one of the companies must surely have brought this to the posters attention?

The poster could even find himself in trouble with building control for having the work carried out without a building warrant!!

As a member of Select I know that they are currently trying to introduce tighter regulation of Electrician’s in Scotland that are not currently members of a Scheme. (In Scotland you only have to be registered to carry out works that require a building warrant)

If the poster is happy to give me his contact details I will contact select on his behalf and see if they can do anything.

4. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

That would be great. Is there a way to send messages on here ?

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

click on the persons username and then click "start a conversation"

6. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Thanks have sent a message

7. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Just found this thread.
    Ooouff!!
    Feel for you FFF, that is a snide job.
    Did you come home from your work to find it or were you on site ?

8. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Came home to find it like this.

Have spoken to legal people from my home insurance. They say I can make them send someone from another company to fix the problems or if I get a written report stating it is dangerous I can appoint someone else to fix it. I have to send them a written letter recorded delivery giving them 14 days to see how they respond. I will wait until Friday and attach a copy of the report from other electrician.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Excellent! Now you have professional support, not just us lot on the forum, helpful as we may be ..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

flimflamflum likes this.
  10. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Everyone on here has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help.

11. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Cheers,keep us posted,a good one to remember is "cable should always run in straight logical lines" if you see a socket then the cable may run horizontally from either side or vertically up or down,lightswitches may have a vertical cable either up or down.When you see them run at odd angles it's time to start worrying.all the best Phil

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Like this
    [​IMG]

philthespark likes this.
  13. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

I did say early on in the thread a Warrant was required for Flats Nice to see some one North of the Border jump in to help

14. Cool - so that means the cable coming from that light switch - which goes up around 4 inches before then going horizontally (and a further cable which runs above the door frame) are definitely non-conforming?

That's the sort of info FFF needs.

And if these cowboys reply with "We'll chust stick some metal conduit over it..." then - tough, too late, I'll stick some conduit up yer oops.

15. Owain

Owain Member

Not always.

A building warrant is not required for rewiring where it is a repair or replacement works to a level equal to the installation (or part thereof) being repaired or replaced.
    http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0043/00431055.pdf

Of course as soon as you put in one smoke detector it requires a warrant.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was the Artex tested for asbestos content prior to hacking it off, that pattern is very late 70's/early 80s.

Risteard likes this.
  17. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Doubtful,if they can't get something as simple as running a few cables in the correct location then I can't see them bothering with such technical stuff as asbestos checks.
    The thing is if a test was carried out and asbestos found then the op could take them to the cleaners,and rightly so.

18. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

No artex testing was done. Had a select and niceic registered electrician out yesterday. He found lots of other things that are wrong. Seal on meter was broken. There were holes in side, bottom and top of consumer unit. They haven't rewired lights in bathroom amongst other things so have plenty of ammunition now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  19. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

20. Billy Towler

Billy Towler New Member

Do not pay a penny, go to citizens advice, TELL them you want the installation certificate. I AM an electrician and go on these forums for a laugh - but you have been well ripped off mate, and have had life and limb put in danger.