Rewiring without back boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by flimflamflum, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What happened in the end?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It sank!

3. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Nothing yet. Got someone coming from Select on Friday to do written report as company won't accept the visual report from electrician. Have to wait on report, send it to them and give them another 14 days to reply. Nightmare living like this.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yea must be a nightmare.

Looks like the company will want to rectify the faults, but would still leave with the making good to be cleared up.

They probably have done poor previous work and so are already aware of the process.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I would be going for a full refund full stop. I would never trust those people in my gaff and would be looking for pukka electricians to start the job again. Thank goodness I can do all of my own electrical work - sparks? flipping heck.

:D

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

These companies hire unskilled people with prob one qualified spark amongst them do a van test and no pride whatsoever in their work

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

It is disgusting, we are working on a 4 storey house at the minute, its full of furniture and boxes, its red hot and today we discovered there is hardboard down over the floorboards which has made it even more of a sod to do, yet we are still doing everything by the book, it would be unfair on the customer to do anything less.

A few cowboys need to go to prison to get the message across, but alas the scam providers are too busy counting their cash to do anything about it.

8. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

I've got a new electrician lined up to do the rewire, basically got to start again but got to do everything properly to make sure I don't have to pay twice.

9. Tell us more, FFF - how did this work out?

10. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Basically nothing has happened yet. Sent letter to company with a list of all the faults that the 2nd electrician had listed. Had been told I had to give them 14 days to reply. They finally called on Monday and said they want a written report. Have got someone from Select coming tomorrow to do a full report and will forward it when I receive it.

11. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Well I'm sick to death of it now,it would seem that very few of the new breed of "electricians" take pride in their work. I was fitting an alarm recently in the corner shop,when the new guy took over I was offered all the upgrade work but declined it.You wouldn't believe the mess! Cables just thrown in across a new suspended ceiling,joints in new cables with connector block,and they've not even put tape around them,let alone an enclosure! I found 2 bare ends above the ceiling,the new board I fitted 3 years ago looks like a bomb's gone off in it,some of the breakers have 4 cables going into them.There's a chiller cabinet that had a 5 core YY cable on it,he's cut 2 wires off and because it won't fit into a normal plug top he's stripped it back about 6 inches and taped it to a piece of cable with a moulded plug attached.I'd say less if he'd done a decent job with the tape,but oh no,he's just twisted the cores together and put a bit of tape around the joint in each conductor.There's an SY coming off a breaker in the board,no gland,no earth to braid and it goes directly into a split fridge unit,no local isolation either.I,ve done a few bits for the shop owner but he wants me to reconnect an immersion heater that has been disconnected in the board,there's no way I'm touching it.I'm not carrying the can when it all goes wrong.

12. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

I've seen a lot of **** work over the years but these days its beyond a joke mate all the bull **** with 17th and part P dont mean a flying fig.

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Flying fig:
    [​IMG]
    I think the current trend is for shaving them these days...

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:D

15. Sparkielev

Have got this resolved yet

16. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

No.nothing resolved. Got the select report. 24 different breaches of regulations. Sent copy to company and told them I wanted deposit back. They said they would settle for price of materials. £850. Told them materials were no use. All needs ripped out and started again. They are now threatening to take me to court. I am trying to get a lawyer to see my options.

17. Sparkielev

Be surprised if they take you to court if anything they owe you for distress they caused, would they want their bad workmanship to shown in court

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May be a good idea to speak to a local litigation solicitor, may be a bit costly, but will help write the first letter together with the breaches, and set out what you would like as an end result, this will show that you are serious on the matter an want it resolving.

Don't think the co will go through courts as will just end up wasting everyone time and money.

19. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

Update if anyone is interested. Company still chasing me for payment. Have sent debt collection letters and threatened court action. Have got a solicitor who has spoken to them and they told a pack of lies. Said they were only there 1 day and I refused to let them back in to complete the work. I've had another electrician in to do the rewire and he done a great job.

20. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

bunch of **** chancers keep going and dont back down

KIAB, Joe95 and Bazza like this.