Rexon planer/thicknesser

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by heanor horse, Mar 23, 2005.

1. heanor horse

heanor horse New Member

anyone got any views on the above as offered in the current clearance sale. Dimensions are well enough for my needs. Use will be mainly in the home but also the occasional job for cash.Is it a good buy at £280

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi HH,

Be careful on the model as the SFD Rexon is £289
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=65060&id=18377

The cheapest deal is this
    http://www.********.co.uk/product.asp?pfid=32570

I have one the same as this but under a different badge and I have to say it does a good job at the level I need. It depends how much work you want to do with it but from what you have said I would say it fits the bill.

If you are prepared to pay £300'ish then I would search out the Dewalt portable thicknesser.

Hope this helps,

DWD

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

3. heanor horse

heanor horse New Member

Many thanks - price is £279

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

screwfix do not like competition

5. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

Is the forbidden word a x m i n s t e r?

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

It must be.
    Change all the **s to the word axminster and it goes to their Perform thicknesser

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

eeh, technology.................. when i w'lad
    ......... and still had change out of thruppence

I dont understand the accent either

8. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Come on Screwfix,

Do not be petty, you do not sell a planer thicknesser for £150 so it is not competition is it? Perhaps this is a matter that you should be referring to your buyers rather than censoring a link. Just send and internal e-mail with this on it 'why can't you source tools at this price you t***s'

'nuff said,

DWD

9. heanor horse

heanor horse New Member

Rexon arrived today. Only one problem. In my state of health it's too heavy for me to lift out of the box so my verdict will have to wait until my son comes round to give me a hand. Looks nice though from the top and at that weight it MUST be good!
    May the force be with you.
    The ex-Obi Wan now known as hh.

10. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi HH,

Yes, they are very heavy and you may wish to think about building a moveable base to get it around your work area and save lifting it. I bolted mine to some chipboard which has a cleat underneath. I hump it on to a workmate and tighten the jaws on the cleat. Works fine but it seems to get heavier every time I move it :)

If you are working longish bits of stock you need ample room to move around the machine so portability may be as important to you as the lifting issue. ** were selling some adjustable work stands for £12 this week which would be ideal for timber supports on the in and outfeeds.

Hope this is useful,

DWD

[Edited by: admin3]

11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dwd, youll get censored, screwfix are frightened by competion from anyone including **

[Edited by: admin3]

12. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

This is getting silly now,
    Admin3
    Look
    Down
    In line

HA HA

DWD

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dwd

admin3 has no sense of humour about aldi, kwiksave, sainburys, waitrose, harrods etc

ALL food shops, probably including local farm shops are now clearly competion to screwfix as far as admin3 is concerned

i wonder, are international ( a food shop that went out of business when i was a kid in the late 1960's) too much competion for screwfix and admin3

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dwd

even my mum cant remember who took over international

by the way admin3, if you can remember who took over international, please post

15. limestone cowboy

I think the International I remember became Gateway, then Sommerfield. Or was is Finefare? Before it was International it was MacMarket, something to do Mac Fisheries. Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

16. limestone cowboy

Sorry, this has nothing to do with planer/thicknessers.

17. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Neither has Admin3! Fortunately?

18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

bet admin3 doesnt know what one is

19. heanor horse

heanor horse New Member

Having just read the replies to my original question quickly followed by the messages in "New topics wanted" I wondered -- would the Rexon, when I finally manage to free it from the box, be a suitable piece of equipment with which to perform a circumcision?

20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

only if its kosher