Right Chaps I'm Stuck

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lsono, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Lsono

Lsono New Member

Hi Chaps,

I have been reading on this forum, which has saved me from gawd no's how many nightmares.

I just need some help about a project I am doing.

I am currently replacing the sink... the sink is a heavy bugga with the weight at 80 kg.

The wife keeps banging on and wants it as minimalist as possible without a pedestal called a floating sink⁇... I Just do I don't ask why lol

I am worried that as the wall is plasterboard even with brackets and lag screws after a while with the damp and humidity of the bathroom the wall might give way.

Any suggestions of something that I may have missed?

I found this on a yank forum... has anyone seen this in the UK.

http://www.mifab.com/Catalog/Fixtur...erPlateCarrierwithExposedArms-BacktoBack.html

Kind regards,

Leo

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't use plasterboard, but a cement board like 12mm HardieBacker board or similar, is more suitable as it's waterproof, & unaffected by moisture.
    Is it a Belfast sink, you can get sink support stands or wall brackets for them.

http://www.jameshardie.co.uk/hardiebacker-12mm-cement-board

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What's on the other side of the PB and have you got access to it - maybe an airing cupboard ?

80kg on plaste board .... Dunno but don't sound good to me (only DIY though) and that's a heavy sink

If you can get behind the wall then a nice large sheet of 18mm (or thicker) ply to screw into

Do the fixings / brackets you have line up with the studs in the wall (doubtful as usual) :eek:

4. Lsono, as Dave says, what's behind the plasterboard - is it a timber stud wall or could there be block behind it?

Either way, you won't be fastening to the actual p'board, but to whatever's behind it.

If it's timber stud, then it's unlikely they'll be located where you want them, so almost certainly you'll need to doctor it all (eg. removing a section of p'board to enable you to fix new timber noggins behind).

Anyhoo, that American stand thingy looks hellish... :)

Can you post a link to the actual sink you plan to use - that'll help us advise you.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Isn't it more likely a kitchen sink and behind it is outside, and window above ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

No because he says it's a bathroom and mentions with no pedestal. So it's probably a bathroom sink with no pedestal.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You're right. I'm wrong. Shoulda gone to........

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Take out section of plasterboard where you plan to fix, fit grounds where you plan to fit sink, patch in plasterboard,skim and fit WHB.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Is it a sink or a basin?