Ring lost in washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lilee, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Lilee

Lilee New Member

Hi

My mum has accidently washed her rings! She has checked round the seal and the filter and found 2 of them but her eternity ring is still missing. Any suggestions? Could the ring have gone beyond the filter into the pipes?

Thanks

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hi
    Sorry to hear about the rings and Im not an expert on washing machines but no it could not have got past the filter so if its not actually in the filter then it has to somewhere between filter and drum.

You may be able to have an engineer have a look for you covered by your household insurance, dependant upon any excess.

Good luck in finding it.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could also have got mixed up with the washing & not spotted.

Had Zanussi & Bosch machine & most times coins, rings got trapped in the door seal, never beyond the filter.

4. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

The furthest point that it could go is the filter

If your not sure how to access the filter / strip it down, if it isn't in the pipework / clothing etc, let us know the make & model & I am sure one of us could enlighten you further.

You may have a flap / removable cover on the front or rear of the machine, that will likely expose a threaded pump filter cap, lean the machine backwards (SAFELY) & place a container & towels on the floor as there will be a moderate to a fair amount of water coming out as you unscrew the pumps inspection cap.

This may help :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  5. mmb

mmb New Member

We had the same issue and found it in the pipe between the drum and the trap mentioned in the earlier post. There was lots of 'gunk' which I should have been regularly cleaning. I doubt it would go past the filter - are you sure it's not still caught in the drum itself or the door seal? Good luck

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

7. Lilee

Lilee New Member

Yes, my mum checked the washing at the time but no luck. Will probably have to get an engineer out. Thanks anyway.

8. Lilee

Lilee New Member

They assure me they have checked the seal properly (found the other two in there) and spun the drum, listened and felt all around. A mystery!

9. Lilee

Lilee New Member

Good idea, thanks.

10. Lilee

Lilee New Member

They have tried this, thanks anyway. Found a pound coin, a penny and a button but nothing else.

11. Welshdragon1

Have you also looked under the cupboards etc, just incase it was attached to some clothing & dropped off as they were being removed from the machine ??

I hope it turns up :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take one end off the large pipe that goes to the pump9under the bottom of the machine.
    Found the missus' metal bra support-thingy in there once! Stopped the pump, is why I was there.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It looks like it's past chucking out time. :D:D:D

14. Always wondered - how do these objects - coins and rings - get through what are small-sized drum perforations?

15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

They don't, they work their way around the door seal rubber to the back of the drum.

16. Welshdragon1

How do they bypass the door seals & end up in the pipework or filter ??

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

There in lies the conundrum, if you wanted it to do it, it wouldn't but because you accidentally put it in there, it's like, " ha ha I'm not coming out, without a fight" :(:(:( :p

18. Mr. Handyandy

You have to imagine the drum spins but the door seal doesn't, therefore they are separate. There is the gap. And when the machine rattles when spinning, the gap increases a tad. The bigger the uneven load, the more gap.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  19. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

That's a very 'Hotpoint' Mr Handy.:)

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  20. Mr. Handyandy

Candy-handy?

Welshdragon1 likes this.