Ringing cap value

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hey guys, I'm messing around with some old phones and a cheapo PABX I got off flea bay but I need to get a cap fitted to the extensions to get the old ringers to work. I know it's a 1.8µF value but I'm not sure what type it needs to be.

Anyone got a linky for the right one/type I need?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

According to circuit diagrams the capacitor designation is Non Polarised Mr C - so this eliminates the use of electrolytic type caps.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Is it to rig up the switchboard in your avatar ? ;)

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Just get a master phone socket...

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

He could use two electrolytics in series, connected either + to + or neg to neg, doesn't matter which way around. (their value needs to be double what's required of course) There was a position in one of the TV circuits, can't remember which one now where we had to do this as non-polarised caps. were difficult to obtain.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Exactly. Either cut one out of a master socket (cheap/already in your van) or add a master socket inline to your PABX (exactly the same cost as cheap/already in your van).