Ripped off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jrb, Dec 25, 2016.

1. jrb

jrb New Member

Just listening to my gran, she had a leak in her kitchen. My late grandad installed it all when he made the extension for a kitchen in the 90s. she called an emergency plumber from the internet, google so im assuming a registered company.
    A guy came out confirmed it to be the pipe going from the sink to the outside tap.
    Plumber found it straight away (15mins in total) found a stopcock my grandad installed for the external tap. Turned it off and said that its the piping thats old and not up to regs. Because it was xmas friday he said price was double. Didnt replace the pipe or fix it. She now has no external tap and is £660 lighter... no receipt etc.
    Do plumbers regularly charge this amount for emergency (through the day) work to stop a leak?
    Thanks for any replies

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

She had been totally ripped off, if he was on google, contact trading standards and report him, he may be on their radar.

3. jrb

jrb New Member

I thought so, its not the first time stuff like this has happened, keep telling her to ring if she gets 'trade workmen' round... likes to be independent. Such a shame people like that take advantage of the elderly.

Thanks for the reply

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Makes my blood boil, when cowboys, Shyster's, ( can't call them trademen) rip off the elderly.:mad:

Joe95 and longboat like this.
  5. jrb

jrb New Member

She's just had an op, so a bit vulnerable atm, can do without the stress. She said he pulled up in a nice car . Im not sure she wants to take it further, she keeps making excuses why it should cost so much, sold her some lies i think.
    Whats more annoying is she needs a new plumber now to fix the pipe so she can water her plants after winter, could have at least fixed it for that price!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should take it further, might stop a few others being ripped off.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Name and shame!, you can only rip defenceless people off for so long, yep he makes a killing on one job, but the avenues for him to do it again are reduced.

longboat likes this.
  8. jrb

jrb New Member

How much should that job have cost, bearing in mind it was the xmas friday, emergency short notice but through the day?
    Thanks

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did 'the nice car' have a chrome plated caravan attached to it? :mad:

Des Lavender and Joe95 like this.
  10. jrb

jrb New Member

It was a black man apparently (my grans words), not sure it was a traveller, In Leeds.

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Tbh for a 'job' like that, I wouldn't have even charged, I would hopefully get more work in the future from word of of mouth and goodwill.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  12. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Name and shame him.

Stick his name up.

KIAB likes this.
  13. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

First ring him and give him an opportunity to breakdown his price and offer a refund. Zero chance to of him doing that though

KIAB and Rulland like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ditto.

Rulland likes this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May have accepted a cup of tea and a "note" for the petrol. Would have felt embarrassed charging.

Wouldn't be the first time that a cheating plumber like that has been called to a job at someone elses house. Then once inside, been asked for a refund for the person he cheated before he was allowed to leave. :eek:

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Even for a call out that is absolutely ridiculous.
    Why people think they have to touch stuff because 'it breaches regs' is beyond me. If it isn't up to regs, I'll tell a customer and let them decide what to do. My guess would be it was something like the lack of a non-return valve, and he took advantage of the situation and your Gran.

Cup of tea is all I would take from a job like that:)

Rulland and KIAB like this.
  17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You need to name him the sooner it gets around he a crook the better

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Obviously the 'cowboy' has no conscience!

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, but I bet his kids got nice presents. :p:p:p:p

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Xmas Friday - when is that? It is for most, apart from rip off merchants, a normal working day.

Yes, I agree a lot will not charge initially but if they do, then I would suggest a one hour call out would cover it - so perhaps £40-50. There should be NO premium on that day whatsoever.

As he is working for cash and charging such high prices he must be over the VAT limit. How is he paying that and other taxes - I am sure HMRC would like to have his number too.