Rising main

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John hall, Oct 21, 2016.

1. John hall

John hall New Member

Hi, new to this forum but am currently undergoing major improvements with our home, with regards to rising main, mine is of copper pipe but very old, it has a stop cock underground and located in side old porch before then coming under footings and under the kitchen sink. I wish to change this to 25mm mdpe pipe , do I have to come under footings (800mm?) and put it in soil pipe etc or can I meet the outside of the house and come up along the outside wall and insulate and then come through the wall to place stop cock inside kitchen?
    Some people have said why change but it's very old pipework and we are having all new plumbing throughout including new boiler so I just want to maximise the water pressure with new rising main, thanks in advance,John.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

dont think water co would let you do that. needs to terminate inside the house!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The proper way is to bring pipe in via underground route,is outside stopcock new?

Seen pipes well insulated fixed against outside wall, they still froze below ground due the ground freezing.

4. John hall

John hall New Member

No its an old stop cock and it's about 800mm down and placed in an old ceramic type soil pipe, looks like I will have to dig under footings to lay new pipe I think. Thanks for replies.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If incoming supply to outside stopcock is lead pipe, you can get waterboard to replace it, some water firms will fit a 32mm mdpe pipe for domestic supply, others only 25mm mdpe pipe.
    And a leaking stopcock they will replace foc, had a few done.:oops::rolleyes:

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need to find what supply pipe is made from, could be lead?

Water co should offer a free lead pipe replacement, but you would have to run own pipe from boundary to house (hard work :()

Contact water co for specifications, best to bring it up in ducting.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Keep forgetting the free lead pipe replacement,well worth getting done, can make quite an improvement in mains pressure having the lead replaced.:)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Mine went over the scale when using the water cup gauge :D

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

At a previous shack I had the lead mains replaced, pressure went from just about 1 bar on a good day to 6 or 7 bar, & I opted for a 32mm mdpe as that was the maximum size permitted for domestic feed they would fit to stopcock by front door.

By law water authority are legally required to supply a minimum water pressure of 1 bar to your property