Roast Rat Anyone? (ashamed to be British)

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by philthespark, Aug 1, 2016.

1. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

In the news yesterday I read an article that tbh made me ashamed to be British,I refer to the suggestion by the Trussel Trust that,the problem of pondweed which is currently blighting ponds and waterways across the UK could be solved by skimming it off and it could then be eaten by the poorer members of society!
    What's next,there's a problem with rats and pigeons,should these be made available for the "poor" to eat? It amazes me that anyone let alone an organisation that supposedly campaigns to help feed people should even think about this,let alone actually suggest it! can you imagine the outcry if it had been suggested to send this weed to a third world country to feed their starving? There'd be outrage,but no it's ok to suggest it over here,It makes me both sad and ashamed to be part of a society that has allowed a situation to develop where things like this are even being considered,what's next,the return of the workhouse and debtors prison?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

One of many delicacies in asian countries.:)

3. Pish and piffle, Phil.

Man, you take some things so seriously. Chill, man. You are too soft-hearted :).

Why would you be ashamed of being British because of one isolated article?

What does the Trussel Trust (never 'eard of them...) have to do with us Brits?

It might even be a good idea. In fact, if it's a way of obtaining nutritious food, then shouldn't it be available to us all?

We eat soya-based foods, so what's the difference?

(Obviously, if the stuff is scraped off the pond surface, splatted on to a plate and handed over to a queue of our poorest, that would not be good...)

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Well my old man was in Germany during the war and reckoned cat tasted a bit like chicken. So that's another food source we can fall back on if times get bad!:p

5. Perhaps we should blend this thread with that other 'cat' one...?

6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

T,I've eaten both cat and dog,yes they do both taste like chicken,and believe it or not it was here in the UK (long story) the thing that boils my pee is the suggestion that people should eat what is basically a weed due to a lack of affordable food.The whole situation would be laughable if it were not so serious,Take the thing with Philip Green,he syphoned off loads of money from BHS then sold the company for a quid.This has affected the pensions of thousands of its employees and yet when questioned he replied "well I've done nothing illegal", not illegal maybe,but morally and ethically? well there you go,yet another example of a "have" lining his pockets at the expense of the "have not's".I wonder if he'd feel the same if someone at the place where he'd invested his ill gotten gains stashed,syphoned money off and he lost out,wouldn't be happy I'll bet!Now they're debating if he should be stripped of his knighthood! that should have gone straight away,there's something seriously wrong when a small minority are gorging themselves on fancy food and there are large numbers of people going hungry,I seriously think that it's going back to the Marie Antoinette days.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

There plenty of pondlfe (scumbags) who I'd like to feed it to, mainly on some jobs I go to

KIAB likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Happy to have roasted several rats today after what I saw

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

What, the lettuce?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Must admit that crispy skin looks lush but surely the whiskers should have been singed off before serving ;)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Disgusting!!!! how can anyone eat red pepper with lettuce!:eek:

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Calm down guys that ain't lettuce so all ok then

Would say it's Choy Sum, which is a Chinese cabbage

Happy to eat that tasty rat now ?? :(

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

In the TV program survivor rats became the contestants staple diet.
    Then again a million quid was the prize..........:)