Roof joist protruding into bathroom celling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mreeve00, Apr 1, 2014.

1. mreeve00

mreeve00 New Member

Hello All,
    I have a roof joist protruding into the left hand side of my bathroom ceiling, i was wondering if this can be cut to be level to my ceiling or is there any other option i have as i would like to make my ceiling more square,I have attached a picture of it.

Look forward to any reply.

Regards
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just chop it off you'll be fine, builders are always sticking bits of structural timber where ever they fancy. What's the worst that can happen other than your roof collapsing and your house falling down.

BuilderMCR likes this.
  3. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Don't even think about it. Find a way to cover it.

4. Mr Reeve, that's the nicest thing in that whole room. Paint the ceiling white and that bit of beam matt black (masonry paint is awesome for this.)

And look up at it from the bath and thank yourself for having kept it. And thank me for suggesting you do. But don't think of me whilst you're in the bath 'cos that would just be weird.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you been in his bathroom Devs? :eek::eek:

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

would it be possible to post a couple more images of your room, please

[​IMG]

7. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Mreeve, that looks like a hip board. Be careful what you do with it. Weakening by cutting it out will affect the roof's structure. Get a carpenter to look at it and see if a bit off 2x2 and some plasterboard can hide it.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This was what my attempt at a joke with brakes was about as well as an Australian posters grasp of English.

vivaro man likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you're in the wrong forum, Fred!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Oh dear.