Roof joist widths

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mark8828, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Mark8828

Mark8828 New Member

Hi guys, I'm putting a solid lean to roof on my conservatory with , 120mm by 47mm joists over a span of 3m from bolted on wall beam , covered in OSB board then synthetic roof shingles (keep weight down). Just wondering how far apart joists should be. Is it 600 centres like floor and roof or can I go wider , I'm planning on putting noggins in and then plasterboarding internal. Regards in advance

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Personally for the size of timber being used, I would be looking at 400mm centre's:)

FatHands likes this.
  3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's a very skinny timber - I'd not go any lower than 145 - even 195 - and put a rubber roof on it

and don't be tempted to fill between the joists with insulation - and don't forget the VCL

and and ......

FatHands likes this.
  4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

According to TRADA Span tables, you should be fine at 400mm centres. ;);)

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

at what loading ?

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sorry Mark8828..Ignore my comment re- the TRADA Span tables, I'll leave it to the self proclaimed expert on here, to advise you.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

8. I usually do it at 450 centre's

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  9. Phil the Paver

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  10. lol thats true, its the stud wall that I do 450's at so I can use full boards, I miss-read the thread your right with 400 for the ceiling :)