Roof leak at chimney

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Don Gola, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Don Gola

Don Gola New Member

I have a leak at one side of the chimney where it passes through the pitched roof.The roof is covered with flat interlocking tiles (Marley Moderns) and the chimney/roof junction has a stepped cover lead flashing which looks sound.No broken tiles evident.I read that with flat tiles and apron flashing there should be further protection against leaks called abutment gutters.I don't have these.Advice please on how to seal join between tiles and chimney brickwork under the lead flashing.The chimney is about 500mm sq.

2. I would make sure all the lead is well pushed down ie no gaps that would allow water to run in or be blown in and then seal with lead mate or a similar lead sealant for the sake of a half hour of your time and £5 for a tube of sealant and see if that works before you take any drastic (expensive) actions, I presume the flashing is under the tiles? picture might help

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

We did our chimneys not so long a go. I think you are referring to back gutters. We had ours made up by a local person, we fitted it ourselves.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Here is a picture of the back gutter. It was welded not bossed. I was told it apparently can be bossed anymore due to the lead thinning in places.

upload_2014-9-8_22-22-2.png

Attached Files:

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not a lead expert but that looks leaky.

6. Don Gola

Don Gola New Member

P1010475.JPG P1010468.JPG P1010473.JPG Sorry no comeback,been away.I enclose some pics of my situation.The leak occurs below front face of chimney on the side shown.It has been suggested that I ease up the flashing and apply expanded polyeurathene foam to the tile/brickwork join.Is this a good idea?

Attached Files:

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've had a look at the pictures the leadwork looks to be in ok condition, yes it could have a bigger 'water line' (min 65mm). Back gutter looks like it has been gusset welded. The only thing i can see is that one of the roof tiles is broken where it interlocks, therefore the min overlap has reduced. Is it possible to go in to the loft and inspect there, also is the chimney stack capped or is it working? maybe the rain is getting in from there?

8. Don Gola

Don Gola New Member

P1010471.JPG The " broken tile" at the edge of the back gutter is,I think, as was fitted when house was built.See pic.The chimney is in use,I don't think rain is getting in from there.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

On the first picture (the broken tile) has the interlocking piece broken - can you slightly lift this tile to confirm this?

Is there any chance you can enter the loft and investigate further, is there any roof membrane fitted?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select