Roofers splattered mortar over lovely new windows how to safely remove?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jvector, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jvector

jvector New Member

As per title ... new extension on top of bungalow, fresh (*horribly* expensive, big, triple glazed,..) windows, then the roofers dropped cement mortar as they finished off the tiling and we did not notice and clean it off so it's hardened.
    I tried pointing a pressure washer at the older, ground floor, windows to see if that would shift it and it lifte a bit, with a bit of help from a plastic scraper, but not completely.

I've read around a bit, and what the wisdom of the internet says depends on where you read. Vinegar, soap, acid, use a Stanley blade scraper, don't let metal near it, pressure wash it, sponge it ... I am well co fused and worried that I may scratch or even crack the glass. Any direct experience here?

I wonder if I can call on the builder who said "...leave site in a clean and tidy condition" but he subcontracted out the roof work and to be honest he's been a touch unreliable already.

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Contact roofers and tell them you want it cleaned off or use dynamite!

3. Agree with Kools. You need to leave this to the builder - and if he scratches the glass they need to replace them.

That'll focus their minds.

First, tho', contact the manufacturer of the windows (or any similar large DG company) and get the best advice on how this should be done.

Armed with this info, contact the builder and tell them the situation - they need to sort it, either themselves or by employing a pro company with experience in this. Tell them that you have been given the best advice on how it should be done, but also that you will not accept any marks scratches or any other damage to the glass.

Then it's up to them.

If for any reason they refuse, or they damage it, then you sue them for the cost of replacement - and you will win.

Take lots of photos now - overall ones showing all the specs, and macro close-ups to show each main splodge in detail. You may need to go back to these spots afterwards to show if there's any damage to the glass.

I would certainly say - do not take on this cleaning task yourself. If you do, you'll have no come-back against them.

Keep us posted :)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't no one today still sheet windows, when doing mortar,concrete work:(, old ways are the best.

Joe95 and CGN like this.
  5. jvector

jvector New Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I didn't reply yesterday, I got logged out and my password manager got confused and I had to do that reset-email shuffle.
    I will take you up on DA's suggestion. I don't imagine the builder is going to be very pleased but fortunately it's MrsJV who's doing the project managing and she's a tougher cookie than me :)
    I'll call back and let you know what happens.

Doall likes this.