roofing lathes

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sammy toaster, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

would a plasload type nail gun be worth the bother over traditional hammer and nail bag on a one off big roof?

2. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Well it depends on the tile gauge as that can effect the amount of batten by 100%.

I would hire a nail gun, it's one handed to use which means you can hold the batten or hold on for that matter with you're other hand.

3. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

thanks for that, but how is it one hand use? surley the old frog , nailbag and hammer are more manageable on a steep roof.

4. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Well it's a nail gun so hold it with one hand. Thats one handed use yeah? You know, like no hands into pouch to fetch nails.

5. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

like a how do you hold the lathe and reload your big orange gun and scratch your **** with one hand?

6. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Put it this way,

If you can't stand on the roof without needing a hand to steady yourself then the pitch is so steep you need to scaffold it.

And why would want to re-load the nail gun and hold the batten (not lathe) at the same time.

You sound like you are extracting the urine tonight.

7. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

well must concede lath should not have had an e on the end old love, see collins concise english dictionary ,lath "one of several thin narrow strips ofwood used to provide a supporting framework for plaster ,tiles ,etc.

8. ­

­ New Member

You still need a nailbag even with a Paslode. It needs reloading more often than you think + gas + battery swaps.

Even so, I reckon the Paslode makes battening about twice as quick as hammer and nails.

9. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

**** Collins dictionary, go to a roofers merchant and ask for laths and you will get a strange look or two.
    And besides you seem hell bent on using a hammer so why ask the * question you chopper?

[Edited by: admin9]

10. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

depends how quick you want to do the job, when i'm roofing i will (nearly all the time) use my paslode, no matter how steep the roof ;)

if you don't want to spend the money on hire / buy, then nail by hand, simple.

also they are called, BATTENS

11. lamello

lamello New Member

lath is a well known term for batten. Go to any decent place ask for bundles of lath and they will point you straight at the battens

12. J.T. Builders Ltd

noooo,

down south, batten.

13. J.T. Builders Ltd

14. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

i took yor advice jt builders but the boys don,t know what a batten and plaster ceiling is.

15. Benjamin Furbank

Benjamin Furbank New Member

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As they did 8 years ago!.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep another old thread being resurrected by a newbie for no reason :mad:

Benjamin Furbank likes this.