Rothenburger BSP 110V pipe die

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by chippie244, Oct 1, 2015.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

For a strange theatrical reason I had to use the above on some 21mm steel pipe today and the Lithuanian labourer who was showing me how this strange machine worked wanted to know why the die was marked as 1/2", I just put it down to plumbing sizes being weird but that is a big difference.
    What is the answer?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

1/2" BSP

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But what relationship has 1/2" got with 21mm?

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hopefully the answer is in the link

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I posted before the link, typical British gauging, bluddy useless for practical purposes.
    Thanks BTW :):)

CGN likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No probs Chippie...at least you can sleep tonight now ;)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No, now I've got to try to explain that to a Lithuanian with poor English, It was designed for very thick pipe.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just hit him over the head with it and tell him not to ask stupid questions. Not too hard though! :confused:

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He could batter me despite being 10 years older, the tube we have isn't for plumbing so all the sizes and wall thicknesses are different.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

In that case best swot up on your Lithuanian :D. Best of British...

12. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

BSP is not metric. When the UK was planning to be metric in the 1960s, the French, the inventors of the metric system, pleaded to retain imperial BSP. Why? Because they had adopted it for pipe sizes and deemed it was too problematic to convert 100% to metric screw thread sizes. The pitch of the threads are imperial in BSP. The French today use imperial BSP but call it 21mm. The threads pitch is still imperial.

13. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You need a shave.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need to get a life :p:p

Joe understood what I was telling him and for some reason the pipe I was using was 1/2" id, he reckoned it was a stupid way of describing it as well.