Roto-stop

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, Nov 16, 2015.

1. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Hi I have just bought an 80mm Tile/Plaster Chiselling SDS Plus bit from Screwfix . It says on it for use with Roto-stop machines only. I have a Makita 3 function SDS Plus Drill like this ;-
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-hr2470wx-1-3kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-110v/79920
    Does Roto-stop just mean the non- rotating chisel function?
    It sounds like I am thick but if you don't know you don't know:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes, it means just the hammer action without spinning. :)

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  3. PaulBlackpool

Thanks Phil.:)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. PaulBlackpool

Incidentally my drill is the 240 volt version, not the 110 volt as per the link.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Nice drill there Paul.

I also have a 2kg Makita, but the drill, roto stop and hammer selector knob is located under the bottom of the drill body and is nightmare to engage sometime. Your one seems to be much better in design

KIAB and PaulBlackpool like this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just make sure that when you do have a chisel that it is engaged in the correct setting or could cause some injury. I usually double check with not contact to any materiel. Also with it in the drill/hammer mode the chuck will rotate, so you can spin the chisel to the correct position before engaging the rotstop which will keep the chisel locked in that position.

7. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Also remember, you won't actually see/feel the chisel action going "in-and-out" of the drill until you press hard against a surface.

So don't sit there playing with the chuck and wonder why you can't see it poking your eye out. LOL (joking of course)

8. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Then after wards you can show your missus your new gyrating chisel action moves. (oooh err)

9. PaulBlackpool

Sorry Jitenda I have only just seen your post. Yesterday I used it to strip 80 year old tiles and cement off one of my kitchen walls. The pointed chisel bit was best for doing this. The drill comes with a good set of bits. The only thing I bought extra apart from the 80mm tile removing bit was a Bosch chuck with SDS Plus shaft to hold all my old straight bits.

10. PaulBlackpool

Yes I did switch it on, on the rotary hammer setting by mistake. The main thing with all power drills is to unplug them and then remove the bits when not in use. The other thing with SDS drills is to oil or grease where the bit goes into the chuck.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Grease is better.:)