Rotten base of door frame

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Matt_H, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi,

My back door is a PVC door but it is built into a timber door frame.

The base of the frame is rotten and water is leaking through it and damaging the floor in the room it leads into.

Please see the attached photos.

How do I fix this?

Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There are always ways of doing this Matt...but even to do a reasonable repair, its often quicker to start again and do the job properly.

Wouldn't take much to unscrew the upvc frame, take it out and fit a new timber frame, then put the upvc back in. If you're good with wood, possibly repair existing wood frame, but prob not worth it.

Of course, you could take the lot out and have a new upvc door and frame fitted.

Matt_H and KIAB like this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

which sounds like it was bodged in the past. Far far easier to rip the door and frame out and start again. either all upvc or all timber. If you decide to do this yourself, (which you could with timber but is harder with uPVC), come back and peeps will give you tips on frame/door fitting. Well within range of jobs a capable DIYer can do.

Matt_H likes this.
  4. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Thanks...rather than removing the whole frame, can the bottom rotten piece not just be removed and a new piece of timber slotted in?

The rest of the frame appears to be in good condition...it is just the bottom piece that is rotten.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It is possible, just fiddly. If you really want to go down that route, see if you can get an offcut of hardwood from a timber yard, ask them to thickness it and put a chamfer on...basically tell them its a door step/cill. Easy enough to make in a machine shop. I had one made up many years ago to repair a bay window.

If you can get the old one out in one piece then you'll have a pattern for them to make it, otherwise measure to get basic dimensions. It doesn't have to be identical, just do the job :)

Matt_H likes this.
  6. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

If I replace the rotten wood with more wood....will it not just rot like the last piece as it is exposed?

I presume I have to paint it with paint or preservative? What is the best thing to prevent it rotting?

7. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Matt, CGN just said get down to a timber yard and source a metre of hardwood. Anything will do. The present one is a softwood frame and was designed to last 20yrs. Years ago door cills/thresholds were made from Keruing(spelling). It's a tropical hardwood that is extremely hard wearing but I don't know where you can source it now.

Me, personally whole lot out and a grp door and frame in to replace it. Sound secure and looks good.