Rough cost for a new roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by total amateur, Nov 10, 2008.

1. total amateur

total amateur New Member

small mid terrace house. The house is about 16 ft wide, and the distance between the front wall of the house and the back wall is about 30 ft. The roof is up one side and down the other - like an upside down V, and there is a small extension at the back, ground floor, with a bathroom.

The current roof is slate but I have no idea whether it's original or not. Some slates are loose and some have slipped but I've seen worse. On the plus side it is a flat as a pancake with no bowing. However, it is the only house in the terrace that doesn't have these newer brown, ridged shape tiles.

Very roughly, how much should I be allowing for a new roof.

Thanks in advance to you very helpful people

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Absolutely off the top of me 'ead, £3k-ish.

Bottom line - get a few quotes and check the spec between each roofer properly - make and type of tile to be used, whether it includes re-felting/battening, new lead flashing around chimneys, etc. etc.

3. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Around £5.5K here in Essex taking into consideration scaffold, skip, materials & labour. Assuming a full rip out both sides.

4. total amateur

total amateur New Member

Thanks, lads. Didn't have time to get local quotes because a relative needed an estimate almost immediately before putting in an offer for the property. I'd guessed at £2500, the one local estimate we could get immediately was £9000. I think a midway point, about £5500 will be what she should allow for.

Thanks again.

but there is one other question - can an old slate roof be repaired? Or do the slates just get so brittle that they have to go?

5. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

The slates may be able to be reused. But it depends on how easy they are to get off - if the nails are well set then its normally cheaper just to rip them off and buy new.

Slate wears on the back - not the outer face so you won't know what condition they are in until you take a few off.

6. N. Green

N. Green New Member

Be a bit of a pain to scaffold over the rear lean to.
    Sounds to me, that the roof is ok. Nothing that a few lead tags and a handful of re-placement slates wouldn't cure anyway. A roofer for half a day, could get you another 15 years or so.
    To re-roof with new slates I think you'd be looking, at £6ooo.
    Grateful thanks to Harry Patch and the boys.