Rounding work top corners.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rob Bowery, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Rob Bowery

Rob Bowery New Member

I guess most of you guys have done this at some point or other, me and the boss have to fit a kitchen with an island tomorrow and helpfully the kitchen designer said it would be nice to round the four edges of the breakfast bar. But I,m thinking it's going to be a pig of a job and that's if we can get it to look right.

Kitchens turning up in the morning, I'm assuming its a round edge but could be square chipboard/ laminate one. So I'm thinking make a template clamp in place and cut the four corners, buff with belt sander to get smooth and perfectly rounded if that goes well then bond a edging strip to the corners.

i,m not sure how the new square ended edging is going to look against the edging that has been sanded and will have a slight bevel on it.

Any thoughts guys.cheers.

2. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Router... Jig...

3. Rob Bowery

Rob Bowery New Member

Not sure if his jig has a round on it, but will definitely use the router now I have thought about it and read lots of posts on the net.

Will have to see what work top turns up as most posts say rolled edge laminate is a no go as you can't get a good finish.

4. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

sounds like u need to find an bespoke worktop then that is pre-rounded to side. Also u said the 'kitchen designer' said it wold be nice if they were rounded, this so-called kitchen designer should made this clear from day 0 (not day 1) and most certainly not after you installed the kitchen. now your at the stage where it almost impossible or a nightmare to achieve.

5. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Whether using jigsaw, router or belt sander the finish will always be **** if its a laminate top with stick on edging. Either go for purpose made or hardwood that can be shaped and finished nicely.

6. Rob Bowery

Rob Bowery New Member

All turned up this morning, square edged chipboard laminate work top.

The boss was prepaired to give it a go even if it does not come out well and has to buy another breakfast bar so the customer can at least
    See that what they want has been atempted.

But he may think differently now.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's doable but you will see the join.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Haven't we been here before Carefully heat and pull back the edging(take it all off).
    Router/jigsaw the round edges you need, and smooth all up.
    Clean and smooth back edges of strips, choose joint positions carefully, bevel edge joint cuts.
    Stick well on, no gaps hot iron joints flat.
    You can pre-heat strip to pre-bend for corners if it helps.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And you will still see the join, it depends on what you are happy with.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not saying it's not acceptable.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It might also depend what the pattern is, and whether the joint could be cut along some coloured lines to further disguise the join.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really