Router Power Switch Help Needed

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by petbro, Jul 19, 2016.

1. petbro

petbro New Member

Having just purchased a router table I need my router to stay switched on. My current router only has a HOLD press and release for ON & OFF. Can I modify it so that it stays switched on?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What make is the router?

3. petbro

petbro New Member

Performance FMTC1020R

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry unable to help I have an ELU, sounds dangerous though, what happens when you mount it to a router table how to you get it to stay in the on position?
    I did have to replace the on/off switch on mine as it was choked up with machine dust and wouldn't operate.

5. petbro

petbro New Member

Table ain't arrived yet so can't answer yet.Is yours table mounted?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sometimes it's mounted depending on what I am using it for, are you sure the switch isn't faulty?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well one way to do it would be to strap the switch so it is permanently on, then control it with the plug/socket on/off switch - making sure it is readily accessible to immediately cut power!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

petbro likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The reviews don't read too well, It's has to be faulty, perhaps it's me but never seen or heard of a router you have to hold the switch for it to operate.

9. petbro

petbro New Member

You have now. Definitely have to hold the button to stay on and only goes off when button released.

I'll try MrHandyandy's remedy but if all fails i'll just invest in a new one and be more careful in what i buy.

10. petbro

petbro New Member

How do i strap the switch please ?

11. petbro

petbro New Member

OK, guys, sorted. WHY the heck didn't I think of it before?????

Attached Files:

• 1..JPG
      1..JPG
      File size:
      200 KB
      Views:
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

No volt release switch.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You may struggle with that router in a conventional table. Changing cutters will be a difficult and you may not have the depth you want. If money is tight and you can't afford to swap it, mounting it horizontally may be easier - there are quite a few plans out there that show you how to do it.

Otherwise have a look on ebay - quite a few good routers on there going cheap

14. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

You could buy a second hand Trend router with a built-in router lift.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can buy a collet extension from axminster if it's 1/2" shank and you can use a scissor jack for height adjustment but that router is pony and will die very quickly.

Astramax likes this.
  16. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Unfortunately I think that you need to spend more on a router but I suppose its down to what you are cutting, I have a trend for normal work and a large motor basic plunge router for my router table which cost around £150.00 (a half inch collet with an extension the way forward but I have heard that the extensions cap snap under heavy load and fly across the workshop + they are not cheap). I found that if you don't have a dedicated table router you spend a lot of time setting up and clamping the router on.

The main advantage of having a table is that you can use larger cutters, but be very careful more than once have I ended up in A & E with an ogee shape taken out of a finger and of course a few days off work soon eats the profit from the job up.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  17. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I might use a collet extension on an more robust earlier model, or a three phaser but not for the modern lighter engineered stuff getting about these days.

What I use is a simple metal plate about 1/8th thick, that takes the router and is set into a piece of mdf 24 x 18. I can lift the whole thing over and get to the router. the fence is a 3x3 bearer timber clamped to the mdf board. I have to do several passes to make the routs and just give the bearer a tap each time. it suits my standard of work.

18. SHARKYCLAUS

SHARKYCLAUS New Member

I have a tooltec ( yeah, ok I know!) 16000-32000rpm router with it's ****** table and it's been dormant for about 8 years or so. It must've come with the table cos I've only got the manual for the table and it was all kept together. My problem is I want to now get it working independently from the table and after fettling the switch, the switch was sticking and no power getting to the router, I basically stripped it down ,found a little bit of condensation, got it going but found that its a push on and release off type of affair. I know this was running continuously when plugged to the switch on the table so im wondering is the table switch some sort of controlling relay that will keep power to the router till either switch is turned off or at least till the table switch is turned off? Also I noticed that there is no earth wire to the plug from the router, any ideas? Cheers.