Router recomendation please.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by imk, Jul 13, 2014.

1. imk

imk New Member

Hello,
    My old Bosch POF50 is worn out so I need a new router to fit new kitchen and worktop etc.
    Any recommendations please, I am a DIY not a Pro that needs a industrial quality job.
    But something that is good and will do all my DIY jobs. Budget is up to £200
    1/4 and 1/2 inch chuck/collets would be good.
    Hitachi M8V2/J6 looked good but had some poor reviews?
    Many thanks in advance

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you are wanting to fit kitchen worktops you will need a 1/2" router with 1600W power or higher. I have a Trend T10 which I brought second hand and performs well. I also have a Dewalt 621K (1/4 ") - but hasn't been used now for a long time. Much lighter than the 1/2" ones good for doing light to medium work.

FatHands likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you can buy a second hand De Walt 625 you won't go far wrong.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The DW625 is very similar to the Trend T10 if not manufactured by in the same factory. Haven t used Makita tools until recently when I brought a new cordless drill and impact wrench. They are very good.

[​IMG] upload_2014-7-13_21-35-45.jpeg
    DeWalt 625 Trend T10

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It is an old Elu design which must have run out of patent, DeWalt bought Elu and I think CMT make a similar model, bullet proof. The only thing that goes wrong is that the handles break if you drop it cos it's heavy.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The 621 is a good router also but only 1/4" as you say. I like DeWalt routers and mitre saws but it seems to be mainly from companies they have bought rather than developed themselves.

7. imk

imk New Member

Thank you I'll keep an eye out for DeWalt 625 Trend T10.
    Good you mentioned Elu as friend years ago said they were good routers, but me old bosch was still strong the.
    As an aside I still have a Swiss made bosch drill 450 watts that is still going strong after 40 years of abuse. (Don't make em like they used to...Think they made em from melted down Tiger tanks)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My Trend T10 is a 110v version. I only have a 2.2kVA transformer so am not getting the full power. It requires a continuous rated transformer of 5kVA (32A). I think after I have done my kitchen worktops I will list it.:) Did get it at a good price though and was in really good condition.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I have an old Bosch circular saw..DIY one I believe, but Swiss manufacture. Still going strong after 30 years. :) I really don't think that modern tools are meant to last. :(