Routing channels in chipboard floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MoneyMark, Sep 3, 2015.

1. MoneyMark

MoneyMark New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to install UFH over a suspended timber floor. I've looked at a load of options, but have just come up with a thought of my own.

Could I insulate heavily between the joists, then lay a 25mm chipboard floor. I would then us a router to cut channels in this and fit 12mm pipe for the UFH. I could then cover this in foil tape to disperse the heat and put a floating laminate floor above it? I guess I could also use sand to fill up the void around the pipes?

Any reason why this wouldn't work? I would still have 12mm of board at the thinnest point.

best regards,

Mark

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I haven't a clue. But 12mm of chipboard isn't much!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It will NOT work.

You need to use the proper metal diffuser plates with uhf.

4. totalmayhem

totalmayhem New Member

it works fine just done mine, you need good dust extractor for the routing though as it makes a real mess, I laid mine over floorboards first as I thoght 12mm was a bit thin

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have to say a suspended floor with just 12mm at lots of points wouldn't fill me with confidence. As its a new installation why not lay a full 18mm floor and then glue and screw 12mm rips of chipboard to create the channels. it would only add 5mm and be a lot quicker, cleaner and stronger.