Running Combi Boiler in summer months

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BarryH, Aug 27, 2016.

1. BarryH

BarryH Member

Roughly two months ago I had a new combi boiler fitted and due to the warmer weather, I've not been running it apart from using it for hot water.

Is it better to run the boiler every now and again or is it OK to let it stand until I need the central heating on? Not sure what parts of the boiler need to move or operate.

2. Hi Baz (I bet you hate that... :p)

Is the rad system old, and was it flushed out? Do you have a filter fitted on the return pipe to the boiler?

I'm trying to work out which way the diverter valve operates - does it default to the DHW position and then operates only whenever the CH is called on, or t'toher way?

If the former, then you can assume it's not being worked very often so could be more prone to sticking - especially if the system is old and still has some sludge sitting in it.

Most parts of the combi will be operating with the DHW - pump, burner etc - so is getting a good work-out all the time.

So, by all means turn on the CH for a quick 5 minutes every month or so, just to get that diverter valve moving.

In general, tho', you have nothing to worry about.

3. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the reply. The radiators have been in for quite a time but they were fully flushed and had new TRVs fitted (British Gas). Not sure what you mean by a filter on the return pipe. The only filter I can see is the magnetic one, I thinks it's called a Spirotrap MB3.

4. That's the fellow :)

I wouldn't worry. Your boiler will come with a decent warranty, and if there's any sludge in there to cause problems you should be covered against that too since you had a flush carried out and a filter fitted.

(All done by BG?)

Have you checked the filter since installation? Any gunge in it?

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

BG - shame on you!

You don't say what boiler was fitted, but almost certainly it will have a boiler exercise routine built in which will run the diverter valve and pump every 24 hours so worry not.

No doubt BG have offered you free cover for the first 12 months and then you pay your annual £225 etc. Be aware that the boiler would have almost certainly come with a minimum of 5 years warranty from the manufacturer, so well done, you are paying twice for the cover.

That's BG for you! :eek:

longboat likes this.
  6. BarryH

BarryH Member

I haven't checked the filter as the system hasn't been running. Is it relatively easy to do?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy job, see end of this video @4:20.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

And, I'm sorry to say, double, if not triple, the price for the boiler and install costs.
    But, it's done now!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Spirotrap MB3 not my favourite, prefer the magnaclean.:)

10. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the help.

11. Is that your actual model there, Barry?

Let us know what you find inside - it'll be a good guide to the state of your system.

12. BarryH

BarryH Member

That's the one. I'll let you know what it's like, probably do it tomorrow.

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

It's running the heating when you open a tap, just passing through the flat plate instead of rads, if ya system is clean don't worry, open all TRVs in summer to relieve the pressure on valve maybe

BarryH likes this.
  14. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.