Rust on half render drip bead bleeding through paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CandleSniffer, Apr 13, 2015.

1. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

I have a half rendered house which is in dire need of a fresh coat of paint. At the bottom of the render on the drip bead in just a few spots there is rust showing through the paint. I presume it is rust as it is orange, though I guess it could be microbial.

This is only showing on the corners of the house where we have had problems with the guttering and water has sheeted down the render. I hope that once the roof-line is repaired there will be no further damage to the render or bead.

How would you proceed regarding the rust?

Thanks for your time

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Sniffer
    Had this problem in a few areas on my house so did the following prep before repainting
    Not saying its the right or best method, but, couple of years later, no signs of rust returning;

Wire brush rusty areas to remove surface rust and any loose stuff

Used this product and gave a coat (or 2 ?) over rusty areas, overlapped onto non rusty bits by an inch or so
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p43408

Followed this by 2 coats of exterior white gloss

Followed by 2 coats of masonry paint (Dulux Weathershield

A bit of extra prep and time involved but hopefully worth it in the end

Gatt likes this.
  3. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Thanks for the advice Dave, sounds good. I don't mind the extra prep, I would prefer to do it right first time.
    Did you find 250ml was enough for you?
    Thanks again

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep found the 250 size tin was enough for me but obviously, all depends on how many rusty areas you have !
    Your only painting small areas at time with this stuff so surprisingly it goes a fair way

Whilst your getting the rust stuff, you can pick up the Toupret at the same time :D

Sorry Screwfix :eek:

KIAB likes this.
  5. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Thanks Dave, I picked up a 250ml tin yesterday afternoon. I did not read this soon enough to get the filler while I was there.

6. This thread covers my query so thank you and candlesniffer.

Flag recommend using a solvent based primer after the rust convertor so I will probably replace one of the coats of gloss with that.

7. A further question. Before applying the masonry paint is it necessary to sand the gloss to provide a key?