rusting nail heads

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Brum.mike, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Brum.mike

Brum.mike New Member

Hi. Is there anything anyone could recomend to treat rusting nail heads so that the rust won't bleed through the new paintwork. Many thanks

2. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

You dont say what the nail is in but, personally, I'd get a nail punch and punch the nail below the surface and then fill the hole with a suitable wood filler.

Job's a good un.

3. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Hi mikeey, knock the nail heads in as far as you can go, then dab the heads with Oilbased undercoat,or if your stuck any oilbased paint,make sure every part of the nail/head is undercoated, when dry, emulsion as normal, the heads wont bleed thru.:)

4. Brum.mike

Brum.mike New Member

Sorry - should have been clearer. Nail heads are in exterior window frame. Normally I'd replace them with brass pins, but these are massive nails with heads that have been left deliberately proud - its an old building. I daren't knock them in as the large curved pane of glass in the window is probably worth a fortune. So was hoping for something that would neutralise the rust and seal it in as best as possible. Thanks again

5. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

You could try grinding the proud bits down usind a dremel or similar tool then coating them either with oil based undercoat or knotting.

6. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

you could try a product like Kurust, used on cars. And then prime, undercoat and top coat.

IWS: It Will Suffice :)

7. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

these are massive nails with heads
    that have been left deliberately proud - its an old
    building.

joinerjohn - I don't think they'd thank him for cutting them all off!

Noarm - "it will suffice" What is this - a cult? have you no shame? This has to be the most irritating addition to the forum since IWS arrived...:)

Mikeey - whatever you do don't use hammerite as a primer as in my experiece it just doesn't take further top coat's at all, full stop... The kurust's not a bad idea, otherwise a small wire brush / wire wool / thin strip of sand paper to get the surface rust off before preping and painting's your best option, but I suspect you don't have much room to get behind them to start with!

Sounds like a bit of a nighmare job - good luck!

8. Brum.mike

Brum.mike New Member

Noarm - "it will suffice" What is this - a cult? have you no shame? This has to be the most irritating addition to the forum since IWS arrived...

It Will Stop .... eventually, probably

Thanks very much for all advice

9. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

You're an early bird, mikeey. Can't sleep thinking of those nails? Just wire brush them, undercoat and topcoat. Job done

10. robbiedaywork

robbiedaywork Member

yeah, i agree life's too short dont spend too much time as the end results will be the same but who remembers red oxide, dab them with that first, that should sort them out.

11. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Jolly Bodger,,,, Sorry, I forgot about the deliberately left showing Nail heads. Note to self, ( Must try that as an excuse sometime). Only deliberately nail heads left showing Ive seen have been the sort that are like giant tacks etc.

OP you could try painting these nail heads a contrasting colour to make a feature of them.In fact if you painted them a rusty red sort of colour then the problem is solved completely. Do I win a tenner??????

12. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

They probably were nailed by an apprentice carpenter who had a hollow in his hammer and then told somebody that the nail heads were supposed to be proud. I like the suggestion for a rust coloured paint, joiner john. Wonder if that would work on 500 mtrs of iron railings I've been asked to quote for? Or for Ford cars.....'Any colour you like as long as it's rusty red'...........

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah it's been around longer than your post!;):rolleyes:

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Does SPAM taste OK if the tin is rusty?

Astramax likes this.
  15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you send some samples across and we can give full evaluation of your product!