Sagging conserve try roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kenneth Cole, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Kenneth Cole

Kenneth Cole New Member

My conservatory roof is pushing out on one side it's 20 years old and no tie bars fitted could I now fit tie bars to bring it back if so what would it need Ken

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You probably need to post some pics Ken.

3. Kenneth Cole

Kenneth Cole New Member

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Kenneth Cole

Kenneth Cole New Member

Thanks for replying as you can see the side is running out by 3/4 of a inch the question is would just fitting ties
    Pull it back or will I need to remove more Ken

5. Kenneth Cole

Kenneth Cole New Member

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Blimey that's an old level are you sure it's still true???

Joking aside, I doubt you'd pull the side back upright with just the fitting of a tie bar, it would though stop any further movement, so wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and remember, you're measuring less that half the height, so from the bottom to the top, it'll be more like 2 inches out.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. I'm guessing it's ok - vertical - at both the house end and the far end? The 'fall' is only happening in the centre of that (long) run?

If so, I'm also guessing that the main strength in that long run is from a siungle ali section running at wallplate height the full length.

If so, that section must be bending. A wee bit.

Having said that, I doubt it will actually collapse. Or even get much worse.

Any ideas how long it's been doing this for?

Anyways, cures... I'd be interested in trying a strut betwixt that wall I can see on the outside (a neighbouring house?) and the top/centre of the bendy bit - where the bend is at its worst. Gently knock that brace into place and see how easy it is to persuade that top length to go straight again...

If you really feel you must fix it, then - assuming there is a full-length ali section running along the top of all your window panels - then your own idea of a tie across t'middle sounds a sensible plan.

I guess it would need securing in to the house wall - I guess a resin fixing would be the neatest and simplest - and then pass through a neat hole which must go through that ali 'wallplate' section on t'other side. A large penny washer or rectangular plate (ideally SS) and a nut.

Sorted...

(You will have noticed I've used lots of 'guesses...')

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a good dollop of snow & I can see the roof collasping & pushing the wall completely out.

10. Ever the optimist... :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Considering every scenario.o_O

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Need to jack up the centre of the roof, then put tie in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really