Sagging kitchen ceiling ... are these quotes reasonable?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Donut80, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Donut80

Donut80 New Member

I have just moved into a top floor flat which has a bulging kitchen ceiling (approx 4m by 4m). Flat is an old tenement with lath and plaster ceilings.

Quotes to take down and replace have been around £1,500. Seem very steep for what is surely a 2 day job?!

Any thoughts on whether simply lowering the ceiling and avoiding the mess is an option would also be helpful.

Many thanks :)

2. Why is it bulging - has the plaster come away from the lath? Or are the ceiling joists sagging or affected by woodworm or summat?

If it's chust removing the plaster, tidying up, reboarding and skimming (and painting?), then it might seem a touch high but it is a very messy job that may require a few trades - plasterer and decorator for instance.

But I assume they will also be insulating it to modern standards while they are at it? I hope so.

Also, the skim will take a few days to dry, so they'll have to come back to decorate.

It all depends on what's included - if it's all of the above, then it's probably not unfair. If it doesn't include, say, insulation, then I reckon you need a couple more quotes.

It's one of these jobs that would only cost a £ew £undred if you DIYed it. :)

Oh, I think you'd be nuts to chust add a second lower ceiling - and wait for bits of plaster from above to come crashing down on to it...

Donut80 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That amount is about right provided materials supplied, protection of kitchen units and appliances whilst demolishing, waste removal, plastering, coving, decorating, thorough clean up and finish of job to best possible standard. If it is lath and plaster they will be cleaning your entire flat as well, as the dust gets absolutely, totally everywhere. It won't be a two day job provided all these criteria are met. Without sounding funny anyone can demolish, create mess and screw plasterboard on, but a decent builder/tradesman will price the job as a whole, and quote accordingly.

Adding a lower ceiling probably would cost in a similar region, maybe a bit less, as the material cost would be greater, but you'd save on waste removal and thorough cleaning up. (Rough guess.) My personal preference is to bite the bullet and pull down the old ceiling as covering up things usually comes to bite you in the rear later on, and you can check on any plumbing and electrics whilst the ceiling is down to give you peace of mind also.

Donut80 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The contractor wont really know what is going on untill the ceiling is pulled down, which is the filthiest job in the world, then they have to dispose of the waste, rectify whatever the problem is and then reinstate. Sounds cheap to me but you crack on and do it in 2 days.
    Top floor flat as well so everything is being carried up and down, what's your parking like?

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You do realise that if the ceiling is coming down then as much as possible will have to come out of the kitchen - all the cupboards etc. It could well take the builders half a day to seal up the door ways, cupboards, lay down protective coverings over the floor. You are either going to need a chute out of the window or the are going to have to carry it downstairs in rubble tubs - and annoy the other tenants with noise and dust.

Then there is the clean up! it could well take half a day to remove all the dust and debris after taking the ceiling down.

The there is a small problem of getting 8 boards of 8x4 up the stairs or get smaller boards and spend more time fixing and finishing

£1,500 is not a bad price considering there is a huge list of things to consider with this job

Donut80 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  6. Donut80

Donut80 New Member

Thanks all for the replies. Seems like the suspended ceiling just hides the issue (until it doesn't) so won't go with that option.

Appreciate there is lots of work included, was trying to calculate a reasonable daily rate as quotes are between 2 to 5 days.

Will keep you posted and in meantime the ceiling lives to fight another day :D

7. There is a 'middle' way... :)

Get quotes for simply reboarding and skimming the ceiling - and then take down the old one yourself, bagging up all the plaster debris and lath.

For this you will need multiple dust sheets to cover everything in the kitchen that cannot be removed, poly sheets and tape to seal orf all the doorways to prevent any of the foul dust getting to the rest of the house, fully protective gear for yourself (and ideally a helper) - overalls, goggles, hard hat, gloves and a very good dust mask, and some guts.

Open the window in the kitchen - but warn any neighbs there may be dust coming their way...

Dirty, filthy job - but quite satisfying in its own perverse way.

And you'd save yourself a good £ew hundred.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have to agree with almost all the comments - the protection, removal, cleaning &c is a big job and will take a large proportion of the cost.

Actually fitting the boards - that itself can be quite quick. A good pair with a collated screw driver could board that in an hour or two.

Then there is the final skim and clean up - another one which is not a 5 minute task.

9. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I've done a few lathe and plaster ceilings over the years,tore them down and re boarded then got a plasterer to skim over,it's a dirty dusty horrible job,even worse in a house that's had a coal fire.For some reason the loft seems to be full of coal dust,a mate of mine used to buy properties to refurb and rent out so I did a lot of work for him,the ceilings were always done during a full rip out,you couldn't do them otherwise,not without a lot of mess and grief.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A small pointer that may or may not be of help, a couple of tarpaulins are far preferable in my opinion to cotton dust sheets when attempting to dust proof against black mortar (or any fine dust) as the dust permeates the sheets easier and you have a mare of a time hoovering the area under where the sheets covered..... but then you have a mammoth task to clean up anyways.....

11. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

If you remove the old ceiling by yourself you are doing most of the work, even including the price of a small skip ( which you can also fill with those unwanted items in your back yard ), you could save yourself a considerable amount of money. Make sure you get a dust mask!

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Not a job for the faint hearted!

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't bother with reboarding.

Last time I pulled down a ceiling,we had fire brigade turn up, thick black dust pouring from window, neighbour across road thought place was on fire & called them, I didn't hear them knocking door, so they took it off it hinges, & most of the frame as well to get in.:oops::)

The dust is awful, it gets every where, one of the worst jobs to do.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was refurbing a Georgian property in Primrose Hill some years ago and to keep costs down the owner was my labourer, a ceiling needed to come down so I told him to call me when it had been done as I wasn't doing it.
    After he had a day of hell the owner of the flat above pulled his floor up, had he waited one day he could have knocked it down from above. :p:p