Sandblasting

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by merlinwoodwork, Jul 30, 2017.

1. merlinwoodwork

merlinwoodwork New Member

Hi. I need to clean up some alloy wheels on a mobility scooter which have been painted over with silver paint. The wheels are small and very difficult to clean with brushes and wire wool so I decided to investigate sandblasting. I need to do this job as economical as possible as I would have no further use for expensive equipment if I purchased some. However I did purchase a dry sandblasting gun some time ago but have never used it. I understand that dry sandblasting is environmentally unfriendly and wondered if I could run high pressure water through the gun instead of air. The gun is the type with a screw-on container which sucks up sand and mixes it with air. Dodgy or what?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cheaper to take your wheels & have them put in chemical dip tank & then shot shotblasted, plenty of firms around offering the service,also it's important to use the right media for your alloy wheels, some are too aggressive, there is also aqua blasting,or wet blasting as it's also known by, using very high pressure water only, but a media can added.(look at Aquablast 1215)

You can get sandblasting attachment for a pressure washer, Nilfisk is one that offers one, important thing is to keep your media dry, but it's not up to a proper pro job.

http://www.prestigewheelcentre.co.uk/refurbishing-price-guide-i39

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. merlinwoodwork

merlinwoodwork New Member

Thanks Kiab.