Saunier Duval boiler repair-advice please!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Phil54, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Phil54

Phil54 New Member

We have a Thermaclassic F30E Combi which has developed a leak that appears to come from between the 3 way valve head and the actuator. It only leaks when the boiler is running and calling for heat to the radiators or the domestic hot water(on a timer and going to a pressurised cylinder that supplies the upstairs taps), but not when a downstairs hot tap is on.
    My plumber has quoted £270+ to supply and fit the replacement valve head and actuator(which I'm told are 'expensive'), and Saunier Duval will charge £250 for a call out and will replace any bits that need replacing.
    The plumber doesn't seem that confident that these parts are faulty but will get them, charge for them & hope that fixes it.To me that seems I risk paying for some unnecessary bits, or worse, that it doesn't fix it and I get an even bigger bill. Both charges seem high to me and I'm wondering if anyone has experience of this problem and can give me an opinion whether the parts are likely to need replacement and whether the charges seem reasonable.We are in Somerset.
    Would it be possible to take the bits out and 'see' if they are faulty. Can they then be refitted if they are until the replacements come?(to avoid us being without hot water) or would this be even more expensive?
    I know from reading the forum that many of you are not fans of this manufacturer but this is the first problem I've had in 6 years.

2. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

use manufacs. agents pay the £250 may seem expensive but it WILL be fixed.The other way with what your plumber is proposing will work out loads more.

MH

3. Guest

I would also go with the 'fixed fee' £250 aint that bad when you consider you've not being mugged by BG every year for maintenance. I replaced a PCB in one of those a few months ago for a chattering relay, tell the engineer the boiler was also clicking and cutting out sometimes... he'll probably chuck a PCB in at the same time... a bargain at £250.

4. I'd take the printed circuit board out and give it a good wash.

5. Notinmymums Forest

Notinmymums Forest New Member

take this oportunity if you have the means to replace the boiler....200-300 quid is a lot of money to throw at a poor boiler(thats my opinion)am not a great fan of ideal but the new logic comes with a 5 year guarantee provided it is installed to the m.i's.....that will offset any future repair costs against its price.....any more opinions.

6. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

NO NO NO
    not an ideal boiler wouldn't touch em with yours
    if there like the icos or isar (likely) nothing but trouble
    even W/Bosch are better than them and there **** and full off plastic

MH

7. billybongos1

billybongos1 New Member

IDEAL!

you gotta be joking!

IDEAL icos / isar / istor is the biggest load of **** going! - engineered to screw up 2years+

PCB faults, MAIN HEAT EXCHANGER GASKETs, FANs etc etc

stay WELL away!!

8. The Falcon

The Falcon New Member

Saunier Duval are owned by Vaillant group,they no longer trade in this country and you are very lucky to have got such long trouble free period out of this boiler,i expect any decent combi to last 7 to ten years.

Your boiler is coming towards the end of its life,so the choice is yours the fixed price repair is definetly the best it seems the the boilerman you have got in doesn't really know what the fault is and it could end up costing you alot more then anticipated

9. Phil54

Phil54 New Member

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Looks like I'll get the manufacturers people in for the certainty of repair and cost.

I suppose what I was hoping for was someone to say the leak might just be a straightforward leak involving a bit of dismantling and fixing but no expensive parts.

I'll try not to think about the £250 cost, or how long it takes me to earn that much! Depressing to think that the boiler might need complete replacement in near future but at least I'm forewarned.

10. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Its no wonder Plumbers are struggling for work,when you numpties give out information like that.Manufacturers buy their gear for a quarter of the price,but theyll still make more profit than us.

You lot need to get a grip and think about your future,and stop passing work over,bunch of ***

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Replace it with Valliant.

Total stupid wasting money on it, spend £250 to day to repair, tomorrow something else goes wrong,& another £250 spent,:confused:the old boiler, it's had it's day.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pfff!:(

Had a Valliant at my last place 15 years,it never broke in all that time.
    My current place has a Valliant 824, it's 10 years old, again has never broken down, only new part was a HW heat exchanger, as old scaled up, but I'm in a hard water area, so expected.

Had it been WB,would have probably spent enough on spares to buy several new boilers by now.:eek: