.........saving £x

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by unphased, Aug 25, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The big price saving scam brainwashed in to everyone’s daily thoughts so aggressively that it is now psychologically embedded and unquestioned by the vast majority of people.

Have you stopped to consider that when making a purchase, of anything whatsoever, the word saving is introduced as a matter of course. Nothing you buy is left as a single price. The claim of a saving against a similar product sold elsewhere, a claim of a saving against higher price at some point in the past, a multiple purchase of the same product making a claim of a saving against a single purchase of that product.

The scam is this. You are not actually saving anything at all. What you doing is spending money. That’s it. Whether you spend £40, £50 or a £1000 you are spending that amount. The claim of a saving is a tag-on mathematical misconception.

Take this simple everyday advertisement of any product. The price you are going to pay will be displayed alongside a crossed out higher price and another price claiming a saving.

£69 Pay £59 a saving of £10.

You are just paying £59. There is no saving; the price no longer exists and you are spending less. This is the truth. You are SPENDING less. Spending is a true statement, saving is a psychological lie.

Now consider a purchase of £20,000. It is often clearer to explain something looking at extreme situations.

Scam one. The recommended retail price or RRP. Lets make up a recommended retail price. This is a completely misleading price because it will never be charged and it can be anything at all.

The scam: RRP £30,000. You pay £20,000 a saving of £10,000.

This is a complete nonsense and a misleading scam. You would never be paying £30,000 in the first place and the rrp is never actually charged, this is just a recommended price. The price you will pay is £20,000 and that is it. You save nothing, you SPEND £20,000 and worse you are not getting the product £10,000 cheaper either because the higher price is never charged.

Scam two. A product is charged at an unrealistically high price, too high for anyone to realistically want to pay it, for a short time, say a month, and then the price is lowered.

The scam: Was £30,000, now £20,000 save £10,000.

This is a false claim. The price is £20,000. The price was artificially raised by a ridiculous amount for a short time and probably nobody actually purchased it anyway or just a tiny percentage of people did. The lower price is actually the real price and the one which is always the price it was going to be charged at so the saving doesn’t exist. This is totally misleading as well as false marketing.

Scam three: The multi-buy. £3.00 for one or £5.00 for two, saving £1.00.

This is a little more difficult to accept. The marketing of mult-buy savings is another form of fictitious higher price. The seller is able to increase sales volume and make more profit by conning people in to buying more than they need. The saving is not there, the buyer has spent more than they needed in the false belief they are saving money. They are in reality spending more money.

My question to you is this. When are we going to wake up and stop this daily mal practice. If everyone is saving money where is it? It doesn’t exist!

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Instead of calling it a "saving", call it a "bargain" instead UP. Quick example:- half a dozen free range eggs.. Asda price £1.75p, Tesco's price £1.95p Ask yourself,, which one represents the better value? Same with Amazon,, Canon Eos 1200D DSLR Camera brand new. Prices range from £303.71p. up to £764.04p (same camera, different sellers) Which one would you buy, if you were after one? I know which I would buy.
    We all accept we have to pay for things, but by shopping around for items "bargains" (as opposed to "savings" are out there to be had. ;)

3. Thrudgle

Thrudgle Member

Strangely enough, I made a Canon Eos 1200d omelette this morning with free range eggs.

I'll see how thing develop in my bowels.

Blimey, I'm good.

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thanks JJ. I call it nothing at all. I accept I am not getting a bargain just paying the price. What I strongly object to is the retailers brainwashing the mug public in to believing they are getting bargains when they aren't. Bargains used to be bargains 40 or so years ago but my point, which I hope I am getting across, is that everything we buy is somehow a bargain, not just the genuine bargains that are few and far between. See where I am coming from? Comparing prices is not the same as being duped in to thinking you are already getting something cheap. its the word "saving" that also gets my goat. Retailers use a positive word like saving instead of negative words like spending. The saving word is far too liberally used now. Virtually every advertisement on TV uses it where prices are concerned. It is not a saving. Its the misleading lies that the retailers use to make something look more of a bargain than it actually is.

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I had to laugh at a bag of chicken flavoured crisps, it says on the bag, made with free range chicken, this implys that the crisps are more healthier chicken flavoured crisps :D:D:D:D:D:D

there's a saying in Wigan, 'you can't make chicken soup from chicken shoite,'

6. joinerjohn1

Tomp, these free range chicken flavoured ones are probably a bit more ethically produced than the other ones. :p:p:p (still,,, some poor chicken had to die, but at least it had a bit more freedom than a factory farmed one) ;);)

7. Thrudgle

Thrudgle Member

Oh-oh, tree hugger alert ^.

8. joinerjohn1

Clinty, I can assure you, I ain't no tree hugger (but I do like chicken flavoured crisps) BTW, I took a photo of an omelette yesterday with my Canon Eos 1200D F stop 3.4 @ 500th second exposure with a bit of infill lighting and a cyan filter over the 500mm Zeiss telephoto lens. ;););)

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I think ALL flavouring is produced from chemically enhanced iron filings and battery acid, no chickens are killed at all, I always liked those potatoe flavoured ones,,,,wait a minute,,those could be real :eek:, how awfull

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi UP,
    I know what you mean mate, and some places are far worse than others (like kitchen showrooms!). I can think of two places near me that use this nonsense to their advantage. Its a carpet shop and double glazing showroom that actually advertise "no sales or false discounts here - low prices all year round"

11. joinerjohn1

Just reminding you,, DFS have a sale on,,,, genuine reductions too. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p (but they dunna sell chicken flavoured crisps,,, only sofa's n beds) ;);)

12. FatHands

they have got to be one of the biggest culprits JJ! ;)

13. joinerjohn1

I bought a flat screen 40" tv the other day off EBay for £30, The volume control didn't work,, but at that price, you couldn't turn it down. :p:p:p:p

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Ha ha. Duped! A lot of those processed potato chips etc are made from APPLE.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Hey JJ, that's a good one, better than that Edinburgh fringe one about Hoovers.
    Anyway, have you noticed that everything seems to be priced £ something 99. Shoes £39.99, Jeans £29.99, etc etc.

16. FatHands

love it!

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Here's another way of demonstrating the savings rubbish. I didn't buy anything. So I saved my money. On the other hand, had I purchased something for ten pounds with a price tag claiming I am saving two pounds I am spending ten pounds and saving nothing.

18. Thrudgle

Thrudgle Member

You really need to calm down old son.

Get yourself down to yer local Lloyds chemist, there's an offer on this week for chill pills, 2 boxes for 10 quid saving you 4 quid in total.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Very good, Thrudgle. I don't get how so many people correlate savings when spending. The false claim is tantamount to fraud.

20. Thrudgle

Thrudgle Member

Blimey, I bet your missus has a right joyous time when she's out shopping with you, dragging yer heels and ranting on about non bargains this n non savings that.