Saw Blades.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Shaggy, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

I have an old B&D circular saw that takes 184mm blades and the hole in the middle (according to the writing on the original blade) is 15.9mm.
    I don't use it very often but after twenty years the blade is a bit worn now so I'd like to replace it. As it hardly gets used I don't want to spend a lot on quality blades and I have seen a pack of six blades for £18 in the bargain bucket in Homebase, however the hole in the blades are 30mm. I realise for that price they will not be very good quality but like I said the last blade has lasted twenty years of occasional use, so six should last me another twenty years of occasional use.

Can you get step down adapters to allow the use of different size blades to fit the saw and if so, how safe are they?

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Better by far to buy a half decent blade of the correct size.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Mr. Handyandy

6. Mr. Handyandy

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A 16mm bore blade will be perfectly safe,we are talking of tiny difference from 15.9mm, just 0.1mm that's nothing, locking bolt will hold every tight.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Sorry. I said 'weird' because when I looked at your post, it just said,

"184mm blade has a 16mm bore." Nothing else.

I was about to quote it and state that not all 184 blades are.....but when I pressed to quote, the link came in with the quote.

Weird!!

9. DisJoiner

DisJoiner New Member

Never, ever, fit a blade that doesn't have the correct bore size. It really is that simple. Seriously just don't even attempt this. In terms of rotating machinery, 0.4mm is a lot. If you can't buy a replacement blade of the correct spec, buy a new tool. The Evolution range is good for not very much money.

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If 0.4mm is a lot, 0.1mm is a quarter of a lot, let's say 'a little'. The blade KIAB linked to should be fine in my opinion.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Perfect is what Mr K says.:D

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to spend a bit more and get a decent blade the right size, well 16 MM. bore, maybe Freud.

Also needing one for my mitre saw (210mm x30 MM bore).
    How many teeth would be best for mitre and circular saws?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mitre saw, more teeth the better, cleaner cut, would look at the FREUD LP40M018 PRO TCT CIRCULAR SAW BLADE 210MM X 30MM X 40T blade.

Circular Saw FREUD LP40M012 PRO TCT CIRCULAR SAW BLADE 184MM X 16MM X 40T cross cut or sheet material, & for ripping FREUD LP30M012 PRO TCT CIRCULAR SAW BLADE 184MM X 16MM X 24T.