saw instead of chiseling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by liaml1974, Aug 5, 2016.

1. liaml1974

liaml1974 New Member

hi folks, i did a job today where the existing solid floor was rising in the middle (not fitted by me). i took off the skirting and it was jammed tight against the walls on both sides of the room. i used a utility saw to cut about 10mm off the floor on each side but as the floor was hardwood oak, the blade didnt last too long. so i ended up chiseling off the 10mm. very tedious and time consuming. is there a rotating saw available that can be set to the required depth of floor and distance away from the wall.and moved along the wall cutting the correct expansion needed. thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

PLPlanning and liaml1974 like this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

A plunge saw would be ideal, but maybe not what you want to spend.

That's a great idea KIAB, I have rented one before didn't think to much for actually cutting exsisting doors as it was jamming etc, but for this purpose I would probably rent one which was cheap enough.

liaml1974 likes this.
  4. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

multitool?

liaml1974 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

From experience slow,very slow, door trimming saw is quick.:)
    Last door saw I hired was £14 for a day.

liaml1974 likes this.
  6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

True'but if you are not expecting to need one then it's easier than by hand. If you know you're going to be doing it then hire the tool.

liaml1974 likes this.
  7. liaml1974

liaml1974 New Member

thanks for replies, ill probably hire something next time.