Scaffhold Boards for decking......

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by south1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. south1

south1 New Member

Hi,

Wondered if anyone has used scaffold boards as decking before? I have seen it done all over pintrest and like the look of the chunkier rustic boards. Im not a fan of traditional timber decking and the composite stuff is £££'s! If anyone has done this before how did it last & did you treat it in anyway. Any advice or tips you could pass on eg best fixings/gaps etc??

Thanks for any replys

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remember Scaffolding boards aren't pressure treated, you can get also some nasty splinters from scaffold boards, so they would need to be sanded, also if you have sprogs then think twice before using them.
    Thought about using railway sleepers, used or new, can get some great effects.:)

[​IMG]

3. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Hi south. I will probably get shot when I get seen on this thread :D coz I have no clue what I'm on about :oops: but I'm a wood lover :) especially quirky stuff like this.
    There are lots of people that have done it successfully. I was just reading about it on another forum where there is a big thread on it. What surprised me was the huge difference of opinions it got. There seemed to be no middle ground. Some had done it, it had lasted years when well looked after and treated! Other pros though were quite scathing about the idea. Was quite a funny read. I can't name the forum sorry :confused: not allowed but if you put your title in Google its one of the first ones up ;) if your quite frugal and like to look after your pennies its a good site ;););)
    Kiab above has made great points though :D as always. The same points cropped up on the other thread. They are very rough apparently. Don't forget little animal paws too :eek: mind the cat :D

4. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

P.s I'm not really crazy south :rolleyes: the avi is just a little joke :oops:
    Let us know how you get on if you go ahead with the project. Send us some pics :)

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

KIAB, I would think the OP asked, mainly because of cost, using sleepers would be mental money for new ones, and old ones are banned from residential use if they contain TAR, which almost 100% of them would.

Scaffold boards wouldn't be much cheaper then decking anyway, especially if using new boards, though I've got to say would look nicer due to them being more rustic.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Banned from residential use:eek: since when.:(

7. Phil the Paver

KIAB likes this.
  8. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

I had a look at reclaimed sleepers a while back. They were very expensive and stunk of diesel.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Phil the Paver likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Ok, mini DA, you win, :p:p:p

11. south1

south1 New Member

Thanks for the replys. Had already come across that other thread Miss P, it does seem to be a bit like Marmite. I personally think they could look Ace! Like others have said sleepers would be big bucks! I can get 3.9m scaff boards new or used for around £9 a board. I'm prepared to sand them if necessary and also planing to build some seating & storage out of them plus a fence/screen. As someone has mentioned they would need treating but would want them to look natural and grey in colour any suggestions on what to use to prolong life? Also would it be a good idea to seal the underside of the boards somehow before laying them? Any help appreciated!

12. As long as the scaff boards are kept well off the ground and aren't allowed to have water pooling on them, then they should - in theory - last a decent amount of time with basic maintenance. I mean, they spend their normal lives ootside mostly; it's only when they are left lying on damp ground for a while that they seriously start to rot.

I guess they will 'cup' to some extent like wot floorboards do? Ie - if you look at the end grain, turn the board so's the bulk of the end grain curves are like smiling faces. Er, I mean 'U' and not ^. I think that's the way to lay them.

That way they should 'cup' with the raised part in their middles on the top surface, so water should run off them - and it also just looks better that way too.

Treatment? You want it to weather but not rot. Surely a deep-penetrating clear wood preserver is the way to go? Some will also have water-repellent properties which I guess it a good idea (unless water-repellent will cause algae to form on the top? I don't know.)

Absolutely dip the end grains after cutting them to size. Obviously you'll need a container large enough for this.

Get them all bone dry outside first, and them dip t'ends and brush/spray the surfaces.

Undersides? I'm guessing simply the same process - spray/brush on clear water-repellent preserver. I don't think I'd coat it with anything else 'cos that would risk upsetting the balance of the timer's breathability, so it would be more likely to move with weather and temp, I think.

If you want them to weather, then I certainly wouldn't spend time sanding the darned things - surely you want them 'natural' and to be gently worn in with foot traffic?

Would it be a silly idea to buy one board, cut it into sections and run some trials on them? Eg - fully unprotected, clear preserver, sanded, and , er, that's about it...

13. south1

south1 New Member

Cheers for taking time to reply DA.
    Totally agree with everything you have said and tbh just wanted reassurance that it was not a totally daft idea! Like you say with some general maintenance and tlc they should last a good number of years and more! Surprised no one has done it or seen them used before in this way. Any thoughts on fixings screws/nails/paslide gun or timberlocks etc? They will be fitted 0n 9x2s at 400mm centres. Thanks.

14. regalcookk

regalcookk New Member

For me this is the best