Scaffolding boards vs Deck boards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mr moose, Aug 8, 2017.

1. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I know scaffolding boards aren't pressure treated, but they do seem to be very robust, does any one know whether they will last as long as pressure treated deck boards? Are scaffolding boards treated at all? And would they last as long as deck boards if they were hand treated?
    I do like the look of them as a deck and am considering them for a customer.

2. Simon74

Simon74 Member

I did them once at a customers request, they looked good but some of them split over time. They also tend to expand and snap the screws they are held with. Don't think I would use them again in a hurry.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Very good point Simon, I have a belief that scaffold boards toughen up with use.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Heh, probably because they are half cement once the builders have finished with 'em.

Joe95 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Scaffold boards are 38mm or 63mm in thickness depending on the span.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also splashed with paint and preservatives.

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I would be buying new scaffolding boards, also would use good quality screws. But any thoughts to longevity apart from splitting?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You may get more precise information from a scaffold company as regard longevity. :)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I very much doubt it, because scaffolding boards on scaffolding have a lot more abuse than domestic deck situation.

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

KIAB likes this.