Scam emails

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by unphased, Aug 20, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Got one this morning which tbh almost fooled me until I spotted suspect parts. It was allegedly from TalkTalk telling me my last payment failed and the account would be cut-off. Click here to amend account details. Be on your guard.

Ghost from the past likes this.
  2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yep, they are getting more and more advanced :mad:

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had one earlier this year supposedly from HMRC sayinv that I had a tax refund, wgen I clicked the link it looked very like the genuine site.

I have had two others one from Skype saying they received a payment of £39? and anothet from payPAL.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I had another account suspended today apparently....from Lloyd.co.uk

Lloyd ?

I've had them all - from Barclays, HSBC, Nationwide etc. Never banked with any of 'em!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Yeah I had one from Coutts,how do they know where I bank.:):)

FatHands likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Courtesy, for Mr Plumberboy, Sir. :)

7. plumberboy

I don't think your taking me seriously Phil.:p:p:p

8. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

If you have an email account you will have had numerous scam attempts. :rolleyes: Just send them some bogus details give them something to do, if a few Million do this it will keep them occupied :)

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I've done a bit of scambaiting. Dead easy, you set up a gmail account and use this (to reply to an obvious scam email in your regular account. (just copy the email address and the text, so it looks like they sent it direct to your baiting account) Never give your home address out (make a fake one up (but check it isn't a real address either)

10. plumberboy

:):):)

11. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Good idea, trouble is if you don't set up another account as JJ suggests, then by clicking on some things you open up ways for the scammers to get into your accounts.
    With postal junk mail I send back the papers if there's a prepaid envelope there.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The sad part about the scam emails is the poor buggers who fall for them time and again.

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

They're getting more adventurous, I've had them, supposedly from:
    BT
    BT Yahoo
    Amazon
    Parcel force
    eBay
    PayPal
    All the major banks, and some not so major

And some more that I can't remember, the scammers are also picking up on topics that make the email seem more genuine as well, Such as BT Yahoo mail being moved to BT shortly etc.

14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Wouldn't expect anything less for a plumber! :D

plumberboy likes this.
  15. Beenst

Beenst New Member

Honestly I have seen some that really made me question whether I was dealing with a proper email or a fake one. I cannot believe how good some of these scams have become. Then again, some of the ones that I get in my email are so laughably bad that it defies logic.