Scantronic alarm fault

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jul 23, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Can't remember the model number but its about 10 years old, customer is having work done on their house and it keeps going off, the panel is unset but the bell box and internal sounder keeps activating and it wont turn off even if you put the code in, after 20 mins it stops and the immediately starts again.

It must be wired EOL or something as I cant see any global tamper circuit inside the panel, ended up disconnecting the power and bell box. Not had too much to do with Scantronic stuff.

When I say work being done I mean a big extension being built and knock troughs done so its more than likely something has been damaged, however when it went wrong they were knocking tiles off the other side of a wall to where the panel was and I cant see any damage to anything.

I dont want to get too involved though as they are have their own alarm guy who is going to add extra sensors etc.

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

What indications are being shown?, that narrows down what the end station has found.
    Has the battery been replaced in those ten years?, duff battery can cause all sorts of problems, been there numerous times on systems that haven't been maintained correctly.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I think you may have cracked it Rulland, it will be the battery, probably dead as a dodo, I had a texacom one the other year you couldn't shut up and that turned out to be the battery. not sure on the indicators, I just know the green power indicator was on so I knew there was obviously power to it.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

May of knocked the tamper spring on panel

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A duff battery can drag the system voltage down, causing spurious faults such as tamper faults, system defaulting itself to factory settings, damaging the charging circuits, killing the panel....and others, all down to lack of routine maintenance, if I had a pound for every system I was called out to out of hours that turned out to be caused by a battery that's goosed I wouldn't need to be on call ever again tbh.
    Unfortunately it's the usual scenario, the alarm is the least thought about, the least looked after, it works until it doesn't, and when it doesn't it does what it should, it makes a damn noise, THEN it becomes my problem, feckin cheap skates, lol.
    That said it could be something else, but heh, battery first tbh.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

User code will still shut it up.