SCHEPPACH PL55 (CS55) 240V PLUNGE CUT SAW

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Jan 15, 2015.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Can you afford the extra £200?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Probably,

I have the DeWalt cordless which I will use for "rough" work and outside and keep the Festool for more precision work. At the moment I have to make up about 20 kitchen units and about 6 wardrobes.

Whilst I have a table saw, for the 8 x 4 I would have to set up outside.

There are obvious advantages of cordless but its the difference between run time and power i would be interested to see

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The saw I have is the TS 55R, it came with 2 1400mm guide rails the carry bag as well as an accessory kit which included the 2 x quick action clamps. I have the 230V version, as the 110V isn't braked.

An expensive purchase and the most I have paid for a power tool I know, but I am quite sure it will pay for its self within a few years of use. I have <15 days to try out the saw for a full refund if I want. I like the service plan included as it includes theft insurance also, the cost of collection for the item if it ever breaks is free, something you dont get with other brands.

I have regularly used a plywood guide and set back by 100mm to allow for the cut, but now it is so much easier as the guide is placed exactly on the desired cut so there is no inaccuracy.

The saw feels a lot safer than my current Dewalt saw, and had trouble when first engaging the saw as the blade cover would hinder the cut and of align it sometimes.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As I say, buy quailty, buy once, yes it's more expensive than cheaper brands, but it will last a lifetime.:)

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have the DeWalt cordless rail system, never got on with it as i found the rails far too floppy. I normally just used the poor mans rail -

[​IMG]

Interesting to see how you progress with it. The attraction for me is to combine the rails with the festool routers

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well thought out the Festool FS guide rail system, & TS55R is just superb, shame I haven't got a use for the kit.:(

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Titan are now selling a plunge saw

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its getting much more used now am fitting in new doors so makes thinks a lot easier. No more setting the marking for the guide back using old method, found that the standard circular saw would run off course too.

Cut oak doors 44mm thick, ok just to take slowly.

Also if you want to rip a board down its possible, as the guide rails have a rubber non slip matting, wasn't able to clamp the guide. But was able to take off a minimal amount of materiel, only possible by table saw or other.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Bought my festool a few months back. Very pleased.

Does anyone use the extraction kit as that as good? Any recommendations

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The main problem with the extractors are the ridiculous price of the bags, although with a bit of ingenuity you can make them re-useable, and there is no indication when the bag is full until sawdust starts spraying from the saw and by then the hose is blocked.
    The hose does get blocked quite easily where it enters the machine, there is an elbow which is wider than the hose and the combination of a change in direction as well as the pressure drop from the wider tube means it is a bit of a weak spot.
    That said it is the best dust extractor I have ever used just don't use it with a table router as it will clog.

11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for info chippie, which extractor have you got? I've watched the videos on you tube and the dust looks minimal?

I will be cutting outside from now on as I have been cleaning my shed for hours.

I love the festool gear tempted to get one.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got the mini cl but I've used the midi as well.
    Brilliant for fitting doors on old houses, use the saw systainer and the extrator as trestles and you can trim the door to fit with minimal dust in the hallway or landing.

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I was wandering wether the sustainers are the same size. To use as tressels!

Anything else you got chippie

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They aren't the same height but near enough.
    I have loads of tools and have used loads of Festool gear but none is as head and tails better than the competition as the TS55.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're looking for a tool that will change your way of working then get a Fein Multimaster.

tore81 likes this.
  16. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I'll second that, I bought mine around 8 years ago, have dropped it on concrete and all sorts, and it's still going strong.
    Just to add, I have recently made my own MFT table for use with parf dogs after finding this video from Axminster tools which is brilliant

17. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Did you use Peter's Parf Guide to make your table? I was thinking of getting my local CNC company to make one up for me.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Axminster are selling a jig about £130

19. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Yes that's the Parf Guide in the video. Considering getting it instead of getting a one off done. Might make more sense in the long run depending on the CNC cost of course.